BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
camlester
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to get my listing output to display results from the same procedure on the same page.  While it works for all of my procedures, my listing output for some reason begins with all of my footnotes on separate pages and then numerous blank pages before eventually displaying my content about halfway down the document.

The first part of my code, which I assume to be the most relevant to this issue, is the following:

libname Lab1 "C:\Users\Cam\Documents\Lab1";
options pagesize = 20 topmargin = .5 bottom margin = .5
leftmargin = .5 rightmargin = .5;
PROC CONTENTS data = Lab1._all_;
title "Exercise 1";
footnote;
run;

However I see no reason in here for the listing to begin with blanks and footnotes.  Any reason why this is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Not sure why you would see blank pages.  But it does seem strange to limit your pages to just 20 lines. That will not leave much rome for PROC CONTENTS to place much output on a page.  Especially if you have any footnotes and/or titles.  If you have the maximum of 10 title lines and 10 footnote lines then there will be zero lines left for the output.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Have you any previous FOOTNOTEs in your code ?

The statement footnote; means clear any footnote.

Usually I locate TITLEs and FOOTNOTEs before any printing procedure,

thus clearing previous  definitions.

Try:

title "Exercise 1";
footnote;
proc contents data=lab1._all_;
run;

BTW, lab1._all_  will start each dataset contents in a new page.

camlester
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't have any prior footnotes as the lines I posted are the exact beginning of my code.   After fixing the _all_ and placing the footnote beforehand, I still have a print preview displaying the footnotes and several blank pages.  

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @camlester and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

To avoid unnecessary page breaks in procedure (listing) output you can use the FORMDLIM system option:

options formdlim=' ';

After your PROC step you may want to reset it to its default value:

options formdlim='';
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Not sure why you would see blank pages.  But it does seem strange to limit your pages to just 20 lines. That will not leave much rome for PROC CONTENTS to place much output on a page.  Especially if you have any footnotes and/or titles.  If you have the maximum of 10 title lines and 10 footnote lines then there will be zero lines left for the output.

camlester
Fluorite | Level 6

I fixed the pagelines and restarted my SAS.  I think part of the issue was the page sizes and the other was old blank pages being stored in the ouput, but it's all fixed now!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation