BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mh2t
Obsidian | Level 7

I have 2 datasets; an original dataset formatted in SAS (5M x 10000), and an Excel sheet which contains variables' names and their statistics summary (10000 x 7). I want to compute around 5000 single-variable regression models of the form Y=Xi, where i = 1 to 5000. Those 5000 variables are selected by conditioning on particular columns (like if 5 < nLevels < 40 AND nMissing < 10000) in the Excel sheet. My variables' names do not have a common pattern.

I could find the code for computing many single-variable regression models, but I don't know how to list the subset of variables by condition from Excel sheet:

/* 1. transpose from wide (Y, X1 ,...,X10000) to long (varNum VarName Y Value) */
data Long;
set Wide;                       
array x [*] x1-x&nCont;         /* <== I want this list to be read from Excel sheet 
by conditioning */ do varNum = 1 to dim(x); VarName = vname(x[varNum]); /* variable name in char var */ Value = x[varNum]; /* value for each variable for each obs */ output; end; drop x:; run;
/* 2. Sort by BY-group variable */
proc sort data=Long;  by VarName;  run;
/* 3. Call PROC REG and use BY statement to compute all regressions */
proc reg data=Long noprint outest=PE;
by VarName;
model Y = Value;
quit;

/* Look at the results */
proc print data=PE(obs=5);
var VarName Intercept Value;
run;

I'm very new to SAS and any help would be greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Or import your Excel data (via PROC IMPORT) and it becomes a SAS data set you can query.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Here is a reference that illustrates how to refer to variables and datasets in a short cut list:
https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2018/05/29/6-easy-ways-to-specify-a-list-of-variables-in-sas.html

You can very easy build a dynamic list but see the shortcut approaches above to see if any work for you to fix your array statement. 

The other method is to query sashelp.vcolumns or dictionary.colums which has the metadata about your data set.

@mh2t wrote:

I have 2 datasets; an original dataset formatted in SAS (5M x 10000), and an Excel sheet which contains variables' names and their statistics summary (10000 x 7). I want to compute around 5000 single-variable regression models of the form Y=Xi, where i = 1 to 5000. Those 5000 variables are selected by conditioning on particular columns (like if 5 < nLevels < 40 AND nMissing < 10000) in the Excel sheet. My variables' names do not have a common pattern.

I could find the code for computing many single-variable regression models, but I don't know how to list the subset of variables by condition from Excel sheet:

/* 1. transpose from wide (Y, X1 ,...,X10000) to long (varNum VarName Y Value) */
data Long;
set Wide;                       
array x [*] x1-x&nCont;         /* <== I want this list to be read from Excel sheet 
by conditioning */ do varNum = 1 to dim(x); VarName = vname(x[varNum]); /* variable name in char var */ Value = x[varNum]; /* value for each variable for each obs */ output; end; drop x:; run;
/* 2. Sort by BY-group variable */
proc sort data=Long;  by VarName;  run;
/* 3. Call PROC REG and use BY statement to compute all regressions */
proc reg data=Long noprint outest=PE;
by VarName;
model Y = Value;
quit;

/* Look at the results */
proc print data=PE(obs=5);
var VarName Intercept Value;
run;

I'm very new to SAS and any help would be greatly appreciated! 

mh2t
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you @Reeza for your response. How can I read variables from Excel sheet in proc sql?

proc sql noprint;                              
 select Variable into :MissingVarList separated by ' '
 from MissingValues  /* <=== should be read from Excel file */
 where NMiss > 0;
quit;
%put &=MissingVarList;
Reeza
Super User
Assign a libname to your excel file and you treat it as a SAS data set.

libname myData xlsx 'path to xlsx file';

Then your SQL sheet becomes:
from myData.Sheet1 <- reads from Sheet1 data set.
Reeza
Super User
Or import your Excel data (via PROC IMPORT) and it becomes a SAS data set you can query.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation