BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tburus
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to build a table with PROC Report that summarizes results for the last three years from a dataset containing results from the last 10 years. I am unsure how (if possible) to limit the number of years output.

My current code is given below:

proc report data=participating_programs; 
	column sport num_participating_programs,year;
	define sport / group f=$sport.;
	define year / across order=internal;
	define num_participating_programs / analysis sum '';
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Year as character needs 4 bytes. A complete SAS date can also be stored in 4 bytes, and a numeric year in the minimum of 3 bytes. So you should seriously reconsider your data design, as numeric values are easier to handle for such cut-off issues and the necessary calculations:

proc sql noprint;
select max(year) into :maxyear from have;
quit;

and later

where &maxyear. - 2 le year le &maxyear.;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Astounding
PROC Star
Limit observations by adding a WHERE statement to the code. For example you can add:

where (2017 <= year <= 2019);
tburus
Obsidian | Level 7

Okay, two things. One, my 'year' variable is a character variable. Two, I need to automate this to be run yearly (I will probably need to define a macro for this, which is fine).

Astounding
PROC Star
That can all be done, just a little cumbersome:

where put(year(today())-3, 4.) <= year <= put(year(today())-1, 4.);
tburus
Obsidian | Level 7

Okay, I'm getting what I want now, but the way I'm doing it seems like it's going to be a mess to automate. Is there a way to do this using LAST.variable and counting back two?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Year as character needs 4 bytes. A complete SAS date can also be stored in 4 bytes, and a numeric year in the minimum of 3 bytes. So you should seriously reconsider your data design, as numeric values are easier to handle for such cut-off issues and the necessary calculations:

proc sql noprint;
select max(year) into :maxyear from have;
quit;

and later

where &maxyear. - 2 le year le &maxyear.;
tburus
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. This almost gets me there. Unfortunately the 'Year' variable I receive is in the form "1819" for 2018-19, "1920" for 2019-20, etc. How might I go about converting this to a numeric? Then I could use your idea by adding and subtracting 101.

smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

split the value and define low and high

low='20'||substr(year,1,2)

high='20'||substr(year,3,2)

tburus
Obsidian | Level 7

I was able to use this as a starting point to create appropriate macros following a predictable pattern in my data. Thanks.

ballardw
Super User

@tburus wrote:

One, my 'year' variable is a character variable.

Almost always a poor idea.

And with any requirement to "automate" something related to dates then you really should use SAS date values. Then there are a bunch of tools available to manipulate the dates. With character variables the first thing you would have to do for something like " I want all of the records within the previous 3 years of today" is turn the values into dates. Save the effort later and do it once when values are created/ read.

Where year(datevariable) ge (year(today()) -3)

for instance.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation