BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RyanWong0510
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

I am trying to match 2 tables and generate exceptions.

For example : 

Table1.Name : DAVID,RYAN,JOHN,..... (20k unique names)

Table2.Article : THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM VWP ALLOWS CITIZENS,... (10k of article crawled from google)

I want to generate exceptions where Article like '%NAME%' which is the 20k of unique names from table1.

Appreciate someone can assist on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

select * from NAMES, ARTICLES where ARTICLE contains NAME;

Note this will evaluate 10k*20k = 200m rows. It might run slowly on a small server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please provide some sample data. Makes it much easier to provide a usable code answer 🙂

RyanWong0510
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ,

Thanks for the support.

Please find the sample data as below :
DATA Name;
INPUT id $ Name $ ;
DATALINES;
a1 Ryan
a2 Jack
a3 Larry

;
RUN;

Data Article;
length id article $5000;
infile cards dsd dlm='|' truncover ;
Input id Article $5000. ;
cards;
1|"California, I'm not sure you know it, but if you didn't know it you should," the president said Monday evening in Long Beach."
2|Malaysia, I'm not sure Ryan know it, but if you didn't know it you should," Jack said Monday evening in Long Beach. "The eyes of the nation, this is not hyperbole'
3|The front-running Republican who would likely replace Newsom if he's recalled is Larry Elder, a conservative talk show host and vocal supporter of the former president, as well as a proponent of the so-called "big lie'
;
run;

My expected result will be

IDArticleName
2|Malaysia, I'm not sure Ryan know it, but if you didn't know it you should," Jack said Monday evening in Long Beach. "The eyes of the nation, this is not hyperbole'Ryan
2|Malaysia, I'm not sure Ryan know it, but if you didn't know it you should," Jack said Monday evening in Long Beach. "The eyes of the nation, this is not hyperbole'Jack
3The front-running Republican who would likely replace Newsom if he's recalled is Larry Elder, a conservative talk show host and vocal supporter of the formerLarry

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

select * from NAMES, ARTICLES where ARTICLE contains NAME;

Note this will evaluate 10k*20k = 200m rows. It might run slowly on a small server.

RyanWong0510
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Chris,
By referring to the sample data I provided, it does not turn out any output.
ballardw
Super User

@RyanWong0510 wrote:
Thanks Chris,
By referring to the sample data I provided, it does not turn out any output.

No output? Post any log in a code box. Copy from the log the entire procedure code and any messages, open a text box on the forum using the </> icon above the message window and paste the copied text.

Likely need to remove trailing blanks in the Name variable:

proc sql;
   select * from NAME, ARTICLE 
   where ARTICLE contains strip(name)
   ;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation