BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DucatiJong
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have recently found that i have "library does not exist" appearing a NOTE on my log as opposed to a WARNING. Does anyone know under what circumstances we would get a warning vs a note?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You get the WARNING when you define TWO or more librefs that point to the non-existent location.

Not sure WHY, but the pattern is reproducible.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
ghosh
Barite | Level 11

please show your libname statement

DucatiJong
Calcite | Level 5

Here's the log showing the problem. It seems like SAS only flags a warning on the second attempt in assigning an invalid location. Has anyone encounter this and can confirm what i stated is the case.

32 libname LIB_A "\\NZ8037SPSAS2003\temp1";
NOTE: Library LIB_A does not exist.
33 libname LIB_B "\\NZ8037SPSAS2003\temp2";
NOTE: Library LIB_B does not exist.
34 libname LIB_C "\\NZ8037SPSAS2003\temp2";
NOTE: Libref LIB_C refers to the same physical library as LIB_B.
WARNING: Library LIB_C does not exist.
NOTE: Libref LIB_C was successfully assigned as follows:
Engine: V9

ghosh
Barite | Level 11

From your path syntax, I am assuming your SAS is running on a Windows environment?  

If you paste the path in Explorer, can you see the content of the folder?

Is your answer yes to both these questions?

DucatiJong
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Ghosh, I should have been clearer. Both the window locations (/temp1 and /temp2) are not valid as i wanted to replicate the error i have in production. What i wanted to show was that I got a mix of WARNING and NOTE despite the similarity of the problem, ie the location does not exist.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@DucatiJong  - I just tested this on SAS9.4M2 and I get the same notes / warning in the SAS log. Despite the note saying "Libref LIB_C was successfully assigned" it doesn't appear in the EG library list. This looks like a bug to me.

DucatiJong
Calcite | Level 5
I do see a pattern in my production that a WARNING only occurs when i am assigning the library for the second time. Was trying to ascertain if this is a know fact. Cheers @SASKiwi!
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You get the WARNING when you define TWO or more librefs that point to the non-existent location.

Not sure WHY, but the pattern is reproducible.

IgorF
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everybody.

I am trying to do the most simple thing imaginable - assign LIBNAME to an existing folder - but for some reason it doesn't work.

Here's my statement:

LIBNAME sassets "C:\SAS Datasets";

And here's from the log;

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
71 LIBNAME sassets "C:\SAS Datasets";
NOTE: Library SASSETS does not exist.

C:\SAS Datasets is an existing newly created folder.

Can anyone see what's wrong?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The most obvious thing to check from that log is where is SAS actually running.  Since your log is jumping form line number 1 to line number 70 you are most likely using Enterprise Guide or SAS/Studio to submit SAS to run on some other machine than the machine you are using to run Enterprise Guide or connect to the webserver that SAS/Studio is using.  So that machine cannot see the path on your local machines C drive.

IgorF
Calcite | Level 5

Tom, thank you for your attempt, but that's not it.

I m doing everything on the same machine. Have no idea what SAS version that OnDemand SAS Studio is using.

Yes, you are right, the log message jumps from line 1 to 72, which is another thing that's wrong.

I have only 1 line in my in my code

Everything else must be from your system.

Igor

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@IgorF wrote:

Tom, thank you for your attempt, but that's not it.

I m doing everything on the same machine. Have no idea what SAS version that OnDemand SAS Studio is using.

Yes, you are right, the log message jumps from line 1 to 72, which is another thing that's wrong.

I have only 1 line in my in my code

Everything else must be from your system.

Igor

OnDemand SAS is running on some server at SAS.com.  It cannot see your local C drive.  All that you are running on your local machine is the browser that you used to launch the SAS/Studio interface. You need to reference the files on the OnDemand server.  Use the Files and Folders panel of the SAS/Studio interface (the thing you are connecting to with your browser) to see what directories you have. 

image.png

Check the properties to see exactly how to reference that directories.   Here is the path I see for my home directory in ODA.

image.png

IgorF
Calcite | Level 5

Ok, Tom, I understand that, thank you. But how exactly can I access my folders on that SAS server? I couldn't see your posting on  Programming.

Co0uld you please give me the exact sequence of steps?

IgorF
Calcite | Level 5

Tom, I changed my single line of code to

LIBNAME sassets "sasuser.v94";

sasuser.v94\ is what I found on the server.

Still didn't work.

Then created a new folder SAS Datasets and ran

LIBNAME sassets "sasuser.v94\SAS Datasets";

Still tno success (same exact log)..

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Right click on the "home" folder and select PROPERTIES from the pop-up menu to see the properties of that folder.

Or just use normal Unix shortcut, ~ ,for your home directory.

libname home '~';

You can also just ask SAS where the SASUSER folder is:

73         %put %sysfunc(pathname(sasuser));
 /home/tom.abernathy/sasuser.v94

PS I would never put anything into that sasuser folder.  Probably doesn't matter for SAS On Demand, but on a normal server SAS has changed the name of that folder from release to release so not really a very reliable place to store things.

>ls -d sasuser*    
sasuser  sasuser.v91  sasuser.v92  sasuser.v93	sasuser.v94

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation