BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HSM_88
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Is there a way to keep all of the rows of an input file, even if they don't meet the Where condition?

Example:

Input File:

Customer ID

Need:

Customer IDAssigned Team Member
456Jane Doe

Here is what I have so far, but of course it is only returning the row that meets the Where clause.

SELECT DISTINCT
t1.CustomerID
t2.AssignedTeamMember
FROM WORK.Input t1
LEFT JOIN Team.Names t2 ON (t1.Customer_ID = t2.CustomerID)
WHERE t2.AssignedTeamMember NOT IS MISSING
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Then move the additional criteria into the ON clause instead of adding a WHERE clause.

SELECT DISTINCT 
  t1.CustomerID 
, t2.AssignedTeamMember 
FROM WORK.Input t1 
LEFT JOIN Team.Names t2
 ON (t1.Customer_ID = t2.CustomerID) 
  and (t2.CaseStatus = 'open')

That will get all of the CUSTOMERID values from INPUT matched with zero or more ASSIGNEDTEAMMEMBER values from TEAM.NAMES. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why did you include the WHERE clause at all?

The LEFT JOIN part will include the observations from the "left" dataset even when there is no matching observation from the "right" dataset.

HSM_88
Calcite | Level 5

I see what you're saying. I realize now that I forgot to add the other criteria is that status of the case has to be "open", otherwise the query will pull the customer's entire history of past assignments. I only need the names of the assigned team members if the case status is open.

SELECT DISTINCT 
t1.CustomerID 
t2.AssignedTeamMember 
FROM WORK.Input t1 
WHERE t2.CaseStatus = 'open'
Reeza
Super User
No. The left join will ensure that all records from the left table are included. Perhaps you need a COALSECE() instead? Depends on exactly what you're trying to work around.
HSM_88
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to work around pulling in the customer's entire history of past assignments. The database includes the closed cases and I only need the open cases. I forgot to include that part in the original post. Below is the updated query.

SELECT DISTINCT 
t1.CustomerID 
t2.AssignedTeamMember 
FROM WORK.Input t1 
WHERE t2.CaseStatus = 'open'
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Including a field from the "right" table in the WHERE criteria converts your left join into an inner join.

Is that what you want?  Only the records that are in both tables?

HSM_88
Calcite | Level 5
I'd like the keep all of the rows from the input file and pull the data from the 2nd table if it meets the where criteria. So all 5000+ rows of the input file show and if there is an open case with an assigned team member, it'll have that person's name. If not, it will just be blank. Sorry if I'm not explaining it well. I'm very new to SAS
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @HSM_88 your code should work with a small correction. You are missing a comma after t1.CustomerID.
Second the  where clause removes all rows where the case status is not open from the output..

So if you want to have all customer ID's from the Input table, then the where clause needs to be dropped.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Then move the additional criteria into the ON clause instead of adding a WHERE clause.

SELECT DISTINCT 
  t1.CustomerID 
, t2.AssignedTeamMember 
FROM WORK.Input t1 
LEFT JOIN Team.Names t2
 ON (t1.Customer_ID = t2.CustomerID) 
  and (t2.CaseStatus = 'open')

That will get all of the CUSTOMERID values from INPUT matched with zero or more ASSIGNEDTEAMMEMBER values from TEAM.NAMES. 

HSM_88
Calcite | Level 5
This worked! Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation