BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pavelr
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

KCOMPARE function syntax from SAS documentation:

KCOMPARE(source,<pos, count, > findstr,<modifiers>)

Why this code:

data test;
b=kcompare("qwerty",1,6,"QWERTY","i");
run;

causes this error: ERROR 72-185: The KCOMPARE function call has too many arguments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pavelr
Obsidian | Level 7

Update: 

it looks like it was fixed in later release of M6 (while I was running in earlier release). And it is fixed in 9.4 M7.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User
It is just like COMPARE() I guess.

data test;
b=kcompare("qwerty","QWERTY","i");
run;
AMSAS
SAS Super FREQ

I recommend you open a TS track for this question.

Please include the following:

- Title "KCOMPARE returns error "The KCOMPARE function call has too many arguments" when 5 arguments are supplied
- SAS Version you are running (the following code will report SAS version information)
%put &sysvlong ;
%put &sysscpl ;
%put &syssite ;
- Registry Report (*.txt files) for each server, please clearly name the report files to reflect the server it was executed on.

- The code (as you have it here)

- The SAS Log 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are you running regular SAS code? Or are you using CAS/Viya?

Are you using DBCS?

Also this page seems to indicate the MODIFIER optional argument is not supported.

DBCS Compatibility

The DBCS equivalent function is KCOMPARE Function in SAS National Language Support (NLS): Reference Guide. There are minor differences between the COMPARE and KCOMPARE functions. Both functions accept varying numbers of arguments. Usage of the third argument is not compatible. This example shows the differences in the syntax.

COMPARE(string-1, string-2 <, modifier(s)>)
KCOMPARE(string-1 <, position <, count> >, string-2)
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

It looks like the documentation is inconsistent.

Click on the feedback button on the documentation page, the team are really good at replying.

pavelr
Obsidian | Level 7

Update: 

it looks like it was fixed in later release of M6 (while I was running in earlier release). And it is fixed in 9.4 M7.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation