BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abdulla
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi, I have attached two files. I have thousands of data. I want to join two files based on the name. In one file full name is given and in another file names are split based on forename, surname etc. Can any one please help me? I have given here some examples of my data. There are a lot of matches in my original complete dataset. In the example files, matches may not be high as I trimmed the files. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

1.Based upon your data I have created a sample code for join. Modify depending upon your needs.

2.Created two variable ename1 and ename2 solely to serve the purpose of join. They can be deleted later on.
2..In the proc sql  step I have retained the new variables ename1 and ename2 to show that the match works.
  I expect that it will be modified to include the variable that are needed and drop the ename's .
Let me know if you have questions.

proc import file="path_to_avs.xls" out=avs dbms=xls replace;
getnames=yes;
run;
proc import file="path_to_avs1.xls" out=avs1 dbms=xls replace;
getnames=yes;
run;
/*Remove the dots and commas*/
data avs01;
set avs;
ename1=compress(translate(EXEC_FULLNAME,'','.,'));
run;

data avs10;
set avs1;
ename2=compress(cat(Forename1,forename2,Surname));
run;

proc sql;
create table joined_table as
select a.ename1,b.ename2 from avs01 a, avs10 b
where a.ename1=b.ename2;
quit;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please post sample data in a usable form, preferably as a data step. Also, please provide a clear description of your problem and your desired result.

Most users here will not download files from the community.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

1.Based upon your data I have created a sample code for join. Modify depending upon your needs.

2.Created two variable ename1 and ename2 solely to serve the purpose of join. They can be deleted later on.
2..In the proc sql  step I have retained the new variables ename1 and ename2 to show that the match works.
  I expect that it will be modified to include the variable that are needed and drop the ename's .
Let me know if you have questions.

proc import file="path_to_avs.xls" out=avs dbms=xls replace;
getnames=yes;
run;
proc import file="path_to_avs1.xls" out=avs1 dbms=xls replace;
getnames=yes;
run;
/*Remove the dots and commas*/
data avs01;
set avs;
ename1=compress(translate(EXEC_FULLNAME,'','.,'));
run;

data avs10;
set avs1;
ename2=compress(cat(Forename1,forename2,Surname));
run;

proc sql;
create table joined_table as
select a.ename1,b.ename2 from avs01 a, avs10 b
where a.ename1=b.ename2;
quit;

abdulla
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you very much Sajid01.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation