BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dcortell
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all

I'm trying to perform a proc rank on a large set of macro vars. Code below:

%macro assign;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;

%global bigrams&ii 
rank_bigramsⅈ

proc sql noprint;
select

cat('"',trim(_term_),'"n'),

cat('"rank_',trim(_term_),'"n') 

into :bigrams&ii ,
:rank_bigrams&ii

from test
where count=ⅈ
quit;

%end;
%mend;

%assign;

%macro putt_big;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;
&&bigramsⅈ  
%end;
%mend;

%macro putt_rank;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;
&&rank_bigramsⅈ 
%end;
%mend;
proc transpose data=test out=test_tr
(drop=_name_ _label_) ;
id _term_;
var N;
run;
proc rank data=test_tr groups=10 out=test2; var %putt_big ; ranks %putt_rank; run;
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop index variable II is now 101; loop will not iterate again.
MPRINT(PUTT_BIG):   "__a"n "__b"n "__c"n "__d"n "__e"n "__f"n "__g"n "__h"n "__i"n "__j"n "__k"n "__l"n "__m"n "__n"n "__o"n "__p"n 
"__q"n "__r"n "__s"n "__t"n "__u"n "__v"n "__w"n "__x"n "__y"n "__z"n "_a_"n "_aa"n "_ab"n "_ac"n "_ad"n "_ae"n "_af"n "_ag"n 
"_ah"n "_ai"n "_aj"n "_ak"n "_al"n "_am"n "_an"n "_ao"n "_ap"n "_aq"n "_ar"n "_as"n "_at"n "_au"n "_av"n "_aw"n "_ax"n "_ay"n 
"_az"n "_b_"n "_ba"n "_bb"n "_bc"n "_bd"n "_be"n "_bh"n "_bi"n "_bj"n "_bk"n "_bl"n "_bm"n "_bn"n "_bo"n "_bp"n "_br"n "_bs"n 
"_bt"n "_bu"n "_bv"n "_by"n "_bz"n "_c_"n "_ca"n "_cb"n "_cc"n "_cd"n "_ce"n "_cf"n "_cg"n "_ch"n "_ci"n "_ck"n "_cl"n "_cm"n 
"_cn"n "_co"n "_cp"n "_cr"n "_cs"n "_ct"n "_cu"n "_cv"n "_cy"n "_cz"n "_d_"n
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  Ending execution.
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

However, I'm getting the error above when the macros are called within proc rank:

Pretty sure is something about how the macro are resolved within the macros

Any idea about where to look?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think this is nightmare code and nightmare variable names, and I would urge you to consider simplification and using meaningful variable names. Nevertheless, I think your error is here:

%macro putt_rank;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;
&&rank_bigramsⅈ 
%end;
%mend;

Specifically, there should not be a semi-colon on line 3. Similarly, the semi-colon in the similar place in %putt_big is incorrect.

If that works, then I give you the homework assignment to see if you can figure out why that is.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us the ENTIRE log for this PROC RANK. (and in the future, we also need entire log for a given PROC or DATA step, not parts of it)

Have you considered using more meaningful — and easier to type — variable names?

--
Paige Miller
dcortell
Pyrite | Level 9

The macros iterate for 100 times, so I will just add the initial log of the proc rank, as the iterations are all the same for the 100 macro vars:

83    proc rank data=test_tr groups=10 out=test2;
84    var %putt_big ;
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  Beginning execution.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable MAX_GRAMS resolves to      100
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop beginning; index variable II; start value is 1; stop value is 100; by value is 1.  
SYMBOLGEN:  && resolves to &.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable II resolves to 1
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable BIGRAMS1 resolves to "___"n                                                                              

MPRINT(PUTT_BIG):   "___"n ;
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop index variable II is now 2; loop will iterate again.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable II resolves to 2
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable BIGRAMS2 resolves to "__a"n                                                                              

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "BIGRAMS2".
84     "__a"n
       ------
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop index variable II is now 3; loop will iterate again.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable II resolves to 3
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable BIGRAMS3 resolves to "__b"n                                                                              

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "BIGRAMS3".
84     "__b"n
       ------

The ending part of the log is as the one posted above, where the error happens:

MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop index variable II is now 100; loop will iterate again.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable II resolves to 100
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable BIGRAMS100 resolves to "_d_"n                                                                            

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "BIGRAMS100".
84     "_d_"n
       ------
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  %DO loop index variable II is now 101; loop will not iterate again.
MPRINT(PUTT_BIG):   "__a"n "__b"n "__c"n "__d"n "__e"n "__f"n "__g"n "__h"n "__i"n "__j"n "__k"n "__l"n "__m"n "__n"n "__o"n "__p"n 
"__q"n "__r"n "__s"n "__t"n "__u"n "__v"n "__w"n "__x"n "__y"n "__z"n "_a_"n "_aa"n "_ab"n "_ac"n "_ad"n "_ae"n "_af"n "_ag"n 
"_ah"n "_ai"n "_aj"n "_ak"n "_al"n "_am"n "_an"n "_ao"n "_ap"n "_aq"n "_ar"n "_as"n "_at"n "_au"n "_av"n "_aw"n "_ax"n "_ay"n 
"_az"n "_b_"n "_ba"n "_bb"n "_bc"n "_bd"n "_be"n "_bh"n "_bi"n "_bj"n "_bk"n "_bl"n "_bm"n "_bn"n "_bo"n "_bp"n "_br"n "_bs"n 
"_bt"n "_bu"n "_bv"n "_by"n "_bz"n "_c_"n "_ca"n "_cb"n "_cc"n "_cd"n "_ce"n "_cf"n "_cg"n "_ch"n "_ci"n "_ck"n "_cl"n "_cm"n 
"_cn"n "_co"n "_cp"n "_cr"n "_cs"n "_ct"n "_cu"n "_cv"n "_cy"n "_cz"n "_d_"n
MLOGIC(PUTT_BIG):  Ending execution.
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.
85    ranks %putt_rank;
MLOGIC(PUTT_RANK):  Beginning execution.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think this is nightmare code and nightmare variable names, and I would urge you to consider simplification and using meaningful variable names. Nevertheless, I think your error is here:

%macro putt_rank;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;
&&rank_bigramsⅈ 
%end;
%mend;

Specifically, there should not be a semi-colon on line 3. Similarly, the semi-colon in the similar place in %putt_big is incorrect.

If that works, then I give you the homework assignment to see if you can figure out why that is.

--
Paige Miller
dcortell
Pyrite | Level 9

Oh boy, what a miss. Clearly the semi-colon within the macro iterations would be repeated too, and close multiple times the var statement in the proc rank. It's a never ending learning path...Thanks Paige

ballardw
Super User

First the suggestion to save all of thiseffort:

Sort your TEST data set by _term_ and the use BY _term_ in proc rank for N.

Then if you really need an ugly data set transpose the result, or write a report from the output of proc rank.

I suspect that

Proc sort data=test;
   by _term_;
run;

proc rank data=test groups=10 out=test2;
   by _term_;
   var n;
   ranks rank_n;
run;

and the output from that is likely to much easier to maintain/deal with than multiple macro variables. Also this will handle values of _term_ without having to resort to name literals which won't work if you do not set the system option validvarname=any; That option might be undesirable at other places in code.

Strong suggestion.

Execute your Proc Rank code and manually type in two values of those names. Then show us the log from that manually run code.

Exactly why are you using name literals? I don't see any values that require that.

Note that when you have macros such as this that requires use of a macro variable not provided in the macro parameter list you are setting yourself up for debug problems when the "&max_grams" has not been set or has changed at a time you did not consider it.

%macro putt_big;
%do ii=1 %to &max_grams;
&&bigramsⅈ  
%end;
%mend;

dcortell
Pyrite | Level 9

I need them stored in a macro var as within the program there are steps where the full list of variables need to be called within a Macro function, like %macro(list_of_var); %do something...

Reeza
Super User

Agreed on bad design, something like this is simpler.

proc contents data=sashelp.cars out=test(rename=(name=_term_) where =(type=1));
run;

data add_rename;
set test;
new_name = catt('rank_', _term_);
run;

proc sql noprint;
select nliteral(_term_) , nliteral(new_name) 
into :var_list separated by " ", :rename_list separated by " " 
from add_rename;
quit;

%put &var_list;
%put &rename_list;

proc rank data=sashelp.cars out=want groups=10;
var &var_list.;
ranks &rename_list.;
run;
dcortell
Pyrite | Level 9

@Reeza It was my initial approach, but as number of variable is extensive (8K - working with ngrams), aggregating them in a unique var, I was getting error: ERROR: The length of the value of the macro variable RANK_BIGRAMS (65540) exceeds the maximum length (65534). The value has been
truncated to 65534 characters.

So needed to resort to separate macro vars

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Other solutions to get around this limitation of macro variable length

• Split the macro variable into N parts, then use all N parts when you call PROC RANK
  • CALL EXECUTE
--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

If working with ngrams, ie individual words, then I'm with @ballardw you should be using BY group processing and not having individual rows and just transpose your final results if needed. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation