BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
imead
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to calculate the number of seconds that an event occurs in:

imead_0-1603831539062.png

I keep running into an issue where when the date changes and I am trying to calculate the number of seconds between I get an inflated number. It is clearly just subtracting it backwards. My numbers are in SAS time not numeric, which should be easy, but neither INTCK or just subtracting solves this issue.

Code used to generate the last column (number of seconds) is below:

proc sql;
create table test as
select TimeDate,
	lagtime,
	timex,
	intck('second', lagtime, timex, 'continuous') as Duration
/*(timex - lagtime) as Duration*/ /*This variation tried with same result*/ from specfaultl2_2 quit;

I appreciate any feedback, I'm very stumped! Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Please at least label your "data" so we have a chance of knowing what anything is.

Proc SQL is pretty poor for using any specific order, so without knowing what you did previously this SQL is likely not terribly helpful.

Is "row" 108 supposed to show the difference from row 107?

I have to guess that in a previous step creating your Lagtime and Timex values that you stripped off the date portion. Don't do it.

I suspect you should really provide data from before you create the Lagtime and Timex variables, and then the code used to create them.

Hint: if you want the difference to cross date boundaries you need to use complete datetime values, not just time, not one date and one time, 2 datetime values.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Please at least label your "data" so we have a chance of knowing what anything is.

Proc SQL is pretty poor for using any specific order, so without knowing what you did previously this SQL is likely not terribly helpful.

Is "row" 108 supposed to show the difference from row 107?

I have to guess that in a previous step creating your Lagtime and Timex values that you stripped off the date portion. Don't do it.

I suspect you should really provide data from before you create the Lagtime and Timex variables, and then the code used to create them.

Hint: if you want the difference to cross date boundaries you need to use complete datetime values, not just time, not one date and one time, 2 datetime values.

imead
Calcite | Level 5

Yes! You were completely correct. I was using timepart() to strip away the date information because it was confusing my validation of the results. When I just keep it as a SAS date and it works just fine. Thank you so much!

Also, thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on how I shared my question, I could have been much more clear, but was too bogged down with my problem, not thinking to share what was upstream. I will make an effort to provide much more clear context in the future.

ballardw
Super User

I'm glad my hint allowed you to solve your problem.

If you could, please post a bit of your final solution. This forum has a lot of people search for solutions and if they find this thread in a search it helps to have a more complete example.

imead
Calcite | Level 5

Here is my final solution paired down to remove identifiable information and just describe datetime. Hopefully this is clear enough! Thank you again, I was stumped.

/*Import SQL Table. There were other columns in select to require order by statement.
They were removed to simplify.*/
proc sql;
create table table1 as 
select TimeDate
from hist.SQLTable
order by TimeDate; 
quit;

/*Lag() is used to grab the previous row datetime.*/
data table2;
set table1;
lagtime = lag(timedate);
timex = timedate;
run;

/*Use INTCK to calculate number of seconds between lagtime and timex*/
proc sql;
create table table3 as
select *,
	intck('second', lagtime, timex, 'continuous') as Duration
from table2
order by TimeDate Desc;
quit;

imead_0-1603834763736.png

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation