BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have a large datasets so each time I run some code, it takes a while. So I open another SAS window(Start--> SAS--> SAS 9.4.exe) to do something else. Is this safe to do? would this affect my firstly opened SAS window? So far, both windows run fine, except for the second window, I got the following error when it is open.

WARNING: Unable to copy SASUSER registry to WORK registry. Because of this,
WARNING: you will not see registry customizations during this session.

Is this ok ? 

5 REPLIES 5
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Yes it is absolutely fine

Thanks,
Jag
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This registry catalog is used to store your interface settings (among other things) and opened for update by the first SAS session, so it is locked for every other session you start while the first is active.

The WARNING tells you that any non-default settings you made will not be available, any changes made in the first session will not be recognized by the others, and any changes made in the additional sessions will be lost as soon as they terminate.

For batch executions, you can safely ignore this.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

One point to consider:

As long each session updates different data-sets or create different external files, 

it will run fine without interfering each other.

In case you have common files, sometimes library.format may cause issues and if you try

update a same data-set you may loose updates done by one of the sessions, as only last closed

will be kept on.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @somebody,

To avoid this warning you can set the RSASUSER system option, which I normally use on my computer and only rarely switch to NORSASUSER (see this older post).

Using two or more SAS sessions in parallel can save a lot of run time (depending on the tasks) if the sessions access different datasets and use different threads/cores of a multi-core processor (check the CPU usage in Windows Task Manager).

Also, I like having a "test session" available (to test small code snippets) in parallel to the SAS session in which I develop production code. Thus I keep all the "dirty" testing code, log, output and WORK datasets out of the "clean" production environment.

ballardw
Super User

If the code for your "large datasets" doesn't need to be manually changed you might consider submitting it for a batch job. Right click on the program file in Windows Explorer and you should get a context sensitive menu to submit the code as a batch job.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation