BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could you please help me understand what I'm missing here? May I know which argument is invalid?

4578               (case when NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR=REPORTING_DATE_ddmon then input("&reporting_date.",date9.)
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable REPORTING_DATE resolves to 30JUN2018
14579                       when input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.) > today() then
14579    ! input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.)
14580                       else input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2019"),date9.) end) as PODVER length = 8
14581                  format = date5.
14582         from &SYSLAST
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable SYSLAST resolves to WORK.W728Z2TN                        
14583            where case when NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR=REPORTING_DATE_ddmon then "&reporting_date."d
14584                    when input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.) < today() then
14584    ! input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.)
14585                    else input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2019"),date9.) end
14586         ;
NOTE: Invalid month value
NOTE: Invalid argument to function INPUT. Missing values may be generated.
NOTE: Table WORK.W729IB79 created, with 0 rows and 43 columns.
5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

The log tells you:

As we cannot see your data we cannot debug this, look at your data, find the invalid month value{s} and correct for this.  I would guess:

NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR

Is the problem 

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've data as follows and I've tested the code using data step already.

data test;
	renewal_date='09mar';
	output;
	renewal_date='09nov';
	output;
	renewal_date='19sep';
	output;
run;

proc sql;
	create table test1 as select 
		case 
			when renewal_date="19sep" then "19sep2019"d
			when input(cats(renewal_date,"2018"),date9.) > today() then input(cats(renewal_date,"2018"),date9.)
			else input(cats(renewal_date,"2019"),date9.) 
		end 
	as new_renewal_date 
		from test;
quit;

data test2;
	set test1;
	format new_renewal_date date9.;
run;

Inorder to replicate the same logic in DI studio under expression, I wrote case when as mentioned in the log below. One change is I've hard coded (19Sep) the date value in data step whereas I've substitute the respective date variable (REPORTING_DATE_ddmon) in following expression.

17069               (case when NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR=REPORTING_DATE_ddmon then input("&reporting_date.",date9.)
17070                       when input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.) > today() then
17070    ! input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.)
17071                       else input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2019"),date9.) end) as PODVER length = 8
17072                  format = date9.
17073         from &SYSLAST
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable SYSLAST resolves to WORK.W728Z2TN                        
17074            where case when NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR=REPORTING_DATE_ddmon then "&reporting_date."d
17075                    when input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.) < today() then
17075    ! input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2018"),date9.)
17076                    else input(cats(NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR,"2019"),date9.) end
17077         ;
NOTE: Table WORK.W729IB79 created, with 0 rows and 43 columns.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

All I can do is re-iterate what I said previously, the log is telling you:

herefore you need to look at your data and find which invalid data is being fed into the input statement.  My guess is still 

NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR

However I cannot see your data (and posting some example data which works doesn't help I am afraid, you need to look at the data used in the SQL). 

ballardw
Super User

And you have still not shown any actual value for ANY of the variables involved in the calculations.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I agree with RW9 that it must be NEW_RENEWAL_DAY_MONTH_YEAR. The confusion starts with misleading variable names: Doesn't this name suggest that the variable contains a year portion? If so, how could it be equal to a variable named ..._ddmon or would it make sense to concatenate it with "2018" etc.?

Moreover, the WHERE condition looks unusual: a SAS date value used as a Boolean expression (i.e., it doesn't matter what date it is, only whether or not it's missing or 0).

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation