BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mgrasmussen
Quartz | Level 8

Dear SAS experts

The following code inserts a new observation below the observation including the value "James" for the variable name:

data test;
set sashelp.class;
output;
if Name = "James" then do;
call missing (of _ALL_);
sex = "T1";
output;
end;
run;

Does anyone know how to insert the new observation above instead of below the specified observation?

Thank you

Best regards,

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

It is a 'look forward' problem.

data test;
merge sashelp.class sashelp.class(keep=name rename=(name=_name) firstobs=2);
output;
if _Name = "James" then do;
call missing (of _ALL_);
sex = "T1";
output;
end;
drop _name;
run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star

Tricky, but not lengthy:

data want;
   do _n_=1 to totalobs;
      set have nobs=totalobs point=_n_;
      if name="James" then do;
         call missing(of _all_);
         sex='T1';
output; set have point=_n_; end; output; end; stop; run;

Make sure you include the STOP statement.  Without it, the DATA step becomes an endless loop!

Ksharp
Super User

It is a 'look forward' problem.

data test;
merge sashelp.class sashelp.class(keep=name rename=(name=_name) firstobs=2);
output;
if _Name = "James" then do;
call missing (of _ALL_);
sex = "T1";
output;
end;
drop _name;
run;
mkeintz
PROC Star

And do you actually want to have a NAMEless observation in that record preceding your copy of the original "James" record?

Or do you want name="James" and sex="T1" and all other variables with missing values?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
mgrasmussen
Quartz | Level 8

Hey Mkeintz

I want an observation being missing for all variables except for sex="T1". For obvious reasons this is just an example to identify a procedure which I can use in another context.

I am relatively new in SAS. I have built a quite large sociodemographic table using proc tabulate, where I have categories for multiple variables on the left (column), which are presented within categories of another variable. It is saved as a dataset. A quick illustration:

master_catvar - A | master_catvar - B - master_catvar - C

catvar1 - A

catvar1 - B

catvar1 - C

catvar2- A

catvar2 - B

catvar3 - A

catvar3 - B

catvar3 - C

catvar3 - D

I would like to introduce headlines to the catvars on the left, e.g. 

catvar1:

catvar1 - A

catvar1 - B

catvar1 - C

Here, I have introduced the value (i.e. "headline") "catvar1:". Given the way the dataset is structured I needed a way to introduce said value.

I am quite sure that there are more sophisticated ways of building such tables, but the above is what I managed to construct given my current skillset. I have been told that proc report is a much more powerful tool to build sociodemographic tables as the one I am trying to build.

Thank you

Astounding
PROC Star

It seems  you are somewhat familiar with PROC TABULATE.  

The easiest solution might be to adjust the report, rather than adjusting the data.  If you were to use CATVAR1, CATVAR2, etc. in the row dimension of PROC TABULATE, you would get a report in the proper structure without having to insert a blank row:

Catvar1

A

B

C

Catvar2

A

B

C

mgrasmussen
Quartz | Level 8

Hey Astounding 

Thanks.

But could I do so while maintaining the additional categorization "column-wise" (please see my example). Could you please provide a simple example of your suggestion?

I am a bit familiar with proc tabulate but not much.

Thank you

Best regards

Astounding
PROC Star

No.  None of the other columns would appear beside "Catvar1", "Catvar2", etc.  If you would like, you could label them so that instead of "Catvar1" the row would be labeled "Catvar1 (T1)".

mgrasmussen
Quartz | Level 8

Okay, thanks.

I am trying to find a solution in SAS where I can create an entire sociodemographic table, i.e. a typical table 1 in a scientific paper (at least within health sciences). I have found that proc tabulate will get me far, but as you have noticed, also requires some data acrobatics.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation