BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jesusismygrace
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I am new to SAS and I keep getting errors when I try to run the below code. I do not know why it will not run. I am using SAS EG

Data membership2;
Infile Inovalon dlm=','X;
Input memberid memberkey membername $ "Bucketed Line of Business" $ "Date of Enrollment Segment";
run;

I get the following error

25 GOPTIONS ACCESSIBLE;
26 Data membership2;
27 Infile Inovalon dlm=','X;
28 Input memberid memberkey membername $ "Bucketed Line of Business" $ "Date of Enrollment Segment";
@@, ~.

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

29 run;

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

I don't believe that X is an acceptable parameter as you are using it:

Infile Inovalon dlm=','X;

Try

Infile Inovalon dlm=',';

If you borrowed from code with something like dlm='09'x  then that indicates the hexadecimal value of the TAB character since tabs are very hard to actually see/ use in code.

If you want to use variable names with ugly spaces then they require an N after them all the time to indicate "name literal".

Input memberid memberkey membername $ "Bucketed Line of Business"n $ 
"Date of Enrollment Segment"n;

I would suggest thinking very carefully about using those names as you also have to have the option VALIDVARNAME=any in effect.

If you are using those in an attempt to have pretty output consider assigning labels, which can be much longer. For example:

Data membership2;
   Infile Inovalon dlm=',';
   Input memberid memberkey membername $ LOB $ DateEnr;
   label 
      LOB = "Bucketed Line of Business"
      DateEnr = "Date of Enrollment Segment"
   ;
run;

It helps to paste code and log results into a code box opened using the forum's {I} or "running man" icon to preserve formatting.

If you look at your error message the ______ is not under the location it was in the log you copied from.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation