BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I have been trying to understand the difference between inobs and outobs, but it's not clear to me. 

I have referred to the earlier post on this forum at:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Difference-between-in-inobs-and-outobs/m-p/419910#M10...

and executed the example given by Reeza. In this example, we run the code with outobs = 2 first and the result contains 2 records where age is 16 and 15 and after this if we run the code with inobs =2 then the result contains 2 records where age is 14 and 13.

I didn't understand why inobs result is different from outobs.

Also, I have gone through the documentation on SAS site:

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/sqlproc/n0a693shdq473qn1svlwshfci9rg.htm#n0pz...

but, I am not clear on the differences between the two.

Can anyone help me to understand the differences between the two, giving some examples? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your print out shows that it did that what you asked. 

In the first one there were 3 observations with AGE=14 and 2 with AGE=13 for a total of 5 observations read IN.

In the second one it wrote out five observations.  It had to read in 17 observations to find the 5 different values of AGE that it wrote OUT.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for the reply. I have already gone through this thread (I have mentioned the same post in my query), but it's not clear to me. Can you please provide few more examples explaining the differences?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think the documentation is clear. I have highlighted the differences:

The INOBS= option restricts the number of rows that PROC SQL takes as input from any single source. For example, if you specify INOBS=10, then PROC SQL uses only 10 rows from any table or view that is specified in a FROM clause. If you specify INOBS=10 and join two tables without using a WHERE clause, then the resulting table (Cartesian product) contains a maximum of 100 rows. The INOBS= option is similar to the SAS system option OBS=.

The OUTOBS= option restricts the number of rows that PROC SQL displays or writes to a table. For example, if you specify OUTOBS=10 and insert values into a table by using a query, then PROC SQL inserts a maximum of 10 rows into the resulting table. OUTOBS= is similar to the SAS data set option OBS=.

--
Paige Miller
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for the explanation. As per this, the following code with INOBS=5 should result in 5 records with age is 16, 15, 14, 13 and 12. But, it is resulting in only 2 records with age 14 and 13. I am not able to understand this.  But, the code with OUTOBS=5 gives 5 records. Hence, not able to understand why INOBS is resulting in only 2 records when it is specified that INOBS=5. Can you please clarify?

Code:

title 'InObs demo';
proc sql inobs=5;
select age, count(*)
from sashelp.class
group by age
order by age desc;
;
quit;

Output:

InObs demo

But, the following code with OUTOBS=5 results in 5 records with ages 16, 15, 14, 13, 12: 

Code: 

title 'OutObs demo';
proc sql outobs=5;
select age, count(*)
from sashelp.class
group by age
order by age desc;
;
quit;

Here is the result of this code:

OutObs demo

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your print out shows that it did that what you asked. 

In the first one there were 3 observations with AGE=14 and 2 with AGE=13 for a total of 5 observations read IN.

In the second one it wrote out five observations.  It had to read in 17 observations to find the 5 different values of AGE that it wrote OUT.

Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you very much for the clear explanation. Now. I understand how to interpret the output from INOBS and OUTOBS.  

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Moksha wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. As per this, the following code with INOBS=5 should result in 5 records with age is 16, 15, 14, 13 and 12.

I don't see how you come to this understanding based upon the words in the documentation. It is taking 5 records, regardless of age.

--
Paige Miller
Moksha
Pyrite | Level 9

Somehow I was not clear with INOBS. I thank everyone for clarifying it.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation