BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All

One of our teams is working on data that must be used in marketing campaigns using SAS CI Studio. The output they produce is stored in parquet files. I need to import that data into SAS using SAS 9.4. Based on my research, it looks like we will need SAS/ACCESS interface to ODBC. I would just like to confirm that this is the only way before I request that (cost implication).

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@HeidiDT wrote:

Thanks for the replies!! I am working on a solution to import the data to a pandas dataframe and then creating a SAS dataset (Python). Still struggling with it, but for now that is the way I am going 🙂

Yep, that should work as well and shouldn't be too hard as long as you have SAS and Python on the same machine (which is often the case). 

Using chatGPT with prompt "python read parquet write sas file" returned code and instructions that looked right to me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Its' my understandning as well that Parquet files are not supported in 9.4 "ootb".

They are however supported in Viya.

Before investing, contact your SAS sales representative and virify your use case. You also need to verify that the ODBS driver of choice can work with Parquet fies in your infrastructure setup.

Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Based on what I can find on the Internet here it looks like this could work. As @LinusH suggested I would first confirm with SAS before you spend money and effort on this.

Another option would be to store this Parquet file in an environment that can read the Parquet file and that you can access via a SAS Access engine that's licensed at your site. I've worked for example in the past with Parquet files stored under Hadoop that we could access via SAS Access to Hadoop and SAS Access to Impala.

HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the replies!! I am working on a solution to import the data to a pandas dataframe and then creating a SAS dataset (Python). Still struggling with it, but for now that is the way I am going 🙂

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@HeidiDT wrote:

Yep, that should work as well and shouldn't be too hard as long as you have SAS and Python on the same machine (which is often the case). 

Using chatGPT with prompt "python read parquet write sas file" returned code and instructions that looked right to me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation