BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
thomask23
Fluorite | Level 6

I need help.  I am new to macros.  I need to create a macro that will import multiple excel files base on a list of names.  Below is my current code.  Please help.

%let dte = FEB2019;/*update monthly*/

/*Identify the current months FL files FILEDATE*/

filename fref pipe "ls /unixfolder/*&dte.*.xlsx";

data work.file_curr;

infile fref;

input ;

file = scan(_infile_,-1,'/');

path=scan(_infile_,1,'.');

run;

/*List of current xls files to import*/

data file_a(keep=file );

set file_curr;

RUN;

/*Macro to import files*/

options mprint symbolgen mlogic;

%macro Imp(all_mth);

%let k=1;

%let mth = %scan(&all_mth, &k);

%do %while ("&mth" NE "");

proc import DATAFILE="/unixlocation/&mth."

dbms=xlsx

out=outdata replace;

run;

proc append base=outdata _ALL data=outdata FORCE;

run;

%let k = %eval(&k + 1);

%let mth = %scan(&all_mth, &k);

%end;

%mend;

data _null_;

length check $200.;

set file_a;

check = '%imp(file="strip(file));");

Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User
Look into CALL EXECUTE instead of your last data step. Which step are you having issues with?
thomask23
Fluorite | Level 6
The program works if I manually update the macro. The problem is the naming conventions will change each month. I am attempting to create a macro to execute it as a macro using a datafile. however I do not know how to run a macro using a datafile.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Write a macro to read one file.

Use the list of files to generate a separate call to the macro for each file you want to read.

ballardw
Super User

Be prepared to have problems with Proc Append following a Proc Import step.

Each time you call Proc Import with XLSX files the procedure makes guesses about the variable types and lengths. In some cases the guesses may result in different variable types. So the append will fail because of mismatched data types.

If the length of a character variable changes you have a chance of having data truncated unless the very first file you import has the longest values for every variable that will ever occur.

Another issue depending on how consistent the source of the XLSX files may be, is that your variables have a chance of changing names from file to file. Which can lead to missing values in the appended data because an Excel column that had previously had a header like "Number of cases" changed to "Cases" or "# of Cases".

I once had a client that sent three files a week and they asked why we kept charging them programming fees to read the files. Even after explaining that changing the order of columns and/or the column headers required that additional programming the client could not provide a consistent file layout.

Reeza
Super User

@thomask23 wrote:
The program works if I manually update the macro. The problem is the naming conventions will change each month. I am attempting to create a macro to execute it as a macro using a datafile. however I do not know how to run a macro using a datafile.

Check the documentation for call execute. YOu can pass the filename to a macro and it will do it for you. I have a macro on my github page that does this, you can take a look at it here:

The list_files macro part you have an easier solution so use that,but the data step and macro should be similar to what you need.

https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Import_all_files_one_type

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation