BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All, I need to compare 2 macro variables but i am getting always condition false while condition is true as per my data. Please help
Code:
DATA X;
INPUT X$ Y$;
DATALINES;
;
RUN;
DATA Y;
X="2";
RUN;
%MACRO TEST();
%GLOBAL FLAG;
PROC SQL;
SELECT DISTINCT X,Y INTO :A,:B FROM X;
QUIT;
%LET A=%LEFT(%TRIM(&A));
%LET B=%LEFT(%TRIM(&B));
%IF &A. = %BQUOTE('&B.') %THEN
%LET FLAG=Y;
%ELSE
%LET FLAG=N;
%MEND;
DATA NEW;
SET Y;
CALL EXECUTE('%TEST();');
FLAG=SYMGET('FLAG');
RUN;

Please help
19 REPLIES 19
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This is not working because the call execute executes after the data step is complete, so FLAG isn't set until after the data step is done.

Why are you calling the macro using call execute?  Is this just an example from a larger solution?

Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Its just an example, i need to use it with big data by checking multiple conditions and need to call macro recursivly untill i reach my end node
Is there any solution?
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Well this version works.  How does it not work in your situation?

DATA X;
INPUT X$ Y$;
DATALINES;
;
RUN;
DATA Y;
X="2";
RUN;
%MACRO TEST();
  %GLOBAL FLAG;
  PROC SQL;
  SELECT DISTINCT X,Y INTO :A,:B FROM X;
  QUIT;
  %LET A=%LEFT(%TRIM(&A));
  %LET B=%LEFT(%TRIM(&B));
  %IF &A. = %BQUOTE('&B.') %THEN
  %LET FLAG=Y;
  %ELSE
  %LET FLAG=N;
%MEND;
%TEST();
DATA NEW;
SET Y;
FLAG="&FLAG";
RUN;
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Your example is confusing me.  You are trying to call that macro while accessing data set Y, but you are not actually referencing any values in that table.

I suggest backing up and telling us what you are trying to do, as I don't think this approach will work.

Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Apology,
I have a table with conditions
I have created macrovariables for conditions where macro variable A is column name and Macro variable b is value. While calling inside datastep condition need to check with row. And want to all flag. Its only step. If condition get true i will pick another variable as reference to pick another condition as macro variable and will check again untill last node.

My problem is here when macro variable are resolving correct value as per data why my condition is not getting true

CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Remember, macro write code, they cannot read the values in a data step.

I think this is what you want.

DATA X;
INPUT X$ Y$;
DATALINES;
;
RUN;
DATA Y;
X="2"; 
RUN;
%MACRO TEST();
  %let dsid = %sysfunc(open(work.X));
  %do %while(%sysfunc(fetch(&dsid)) = 0);
    %let varname = %sysfunc(getvarc(&dsid,1));
    %let varval = %sysfunc(getvarc(&dsid,2)); 
    if &varname = "&varval" then FLAG = 'Y';
    else FLAG = 'N'; 
  %end;
  %let rc   = %sysfunc(close(&dsid));
%MEND;
options mprint;
DATA NEW;
SET Y;
%TEST();
RUN;

Notice the MPRINT option.  This will show you in the log the code that got created.

CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Here is a call execute version.  Remember all it does is write code as well.

data _null_;
  set x end=finished;
  if _n_ = 1 then do;
    CALL EXECUTE('DATA NEW;');
    CALL EXECUTE('SET Y;');
  end;
  CALL EXECUTE('if ' || X || ' = "' || strip(Y) || '" then FLAG="Y";');
  CALL EXECUTE('else FLAG="N";');
  if finished then do;
    CALL EXECUTE('run;');
  end;
run;
Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot, it works, but i need to create this x table again n again like i have 10 conditions on diff diff variables i need to check every variable with conditions for each row. By this i wont be able to create x dynamicly. I need to pick 1st row for 1st condition , 2nd row for 2nd condition, i need to call same macro recursively. Thanks again
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Aman4SAS wrote:
By this i wont be able to create x dynamicly. I need to pick 1st row for 1st condition , 2nd row for 2nd condition, i need to call same macro recursively.

Show us what you mean, "pick 1st row..."

You should be able to call the macro from within a data set using the code from @CurtisMackWSIPP 

--
Paige Miller
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can just add rows to the X table and it should work.

CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can't call a macro for every row in a data step.  The macros write code that is then executed.  Look at this call execute that will sets FLAG to equal which variable matched the values in the X.  Pay attention to the log.  It will show you the code that is actually generated.

DATA X;
INPUT X$ Y$;
DATALINES;
Y 4 
;
RUN;
DATA Y;
X="2";Y="0"; output;
X="0";Y="4"; output;
X="5";Y="3"; output;
RUN;
data _null_;
  set x end=finished;
  if _n_ = 1 then do;
    CALL EXECUTE('DATA NEW;');
    CALL EXECUTE('SET Y;');
    CALL EXECUTE('if 0 = 1 then FLAG="";');
  end;
  CALL EXECUTE('else if ' || X || ' = "' || strip(Y) || '" then FLAG="' || strip(X) || '";');
  if finished then do;
    CALL EXECUTE('else FLAG="N";');
    CALL EXECUTE('run;');
  end;
run;
Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
Not able to understand, u call macro outside of datastep it will run only 1 time, and u r getting Flag value Y?
ballardw
Super User

Show some example values from both of these "variables" and why you think they are equal.

Or set

Options mprint mlogic symbolgen before running your macro.

The %Left (%Trim( &A.)) is not going to remove, reduce or effect the spacing between different bits of &A. The whole string gets shifted left and the only thing "trimmed" is what comes after the last bit.

Example:

%let A =   Some      words   with differing spaces     betweeeen    ;
%let A = %trim(%left(&A.));

%put &A.;

You might need to Strip the variables (equivalent to Left(trim())) and specify Separated by ' ' to force on blank between  the values of the variables. However if some values of the A or B data set variables have differing numbers of blanks embedded in them you really need to provide example data and what you expect.

Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7
As my example i have only one character to check. LIKE 1 2 3 4 5 A B C D These flags which i need to check , provided is just an example. But going through always false and Flag is being assign as N

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation