BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ajayvit
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Team,

I want to understand about IORC process in Data Step by using Index.

My requirement is we have two data set (A and B),(A) is small and (B)is very large.

I do understand that for large data set we can create index. But how to merge tow data set using   __IORC__  technique. ?

*Index larger file;
proc datasets lib=work;
modify daset_name;
index create variable_name/unique;
quit;

6 REPLIES 6
Ajayvit
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Josvander,

Thank you for your help. 

I have been there i was not able to understood the solution thats why i am here.

Thank You.

JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ
Does example 4 from the documentation help in understanding?
https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/lrcon/9.4/n1tgk0uanvisvon1r26lc036k0w7.htm#n1g54zcicf3fu4n16aop...
If not do you understand the fundamentals of datastep programming with regards to the PDV? There is a great youtube video on that: https://youtu.be/7EMOai04_eg.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The paper is very nicely done and describes every single step of the process in depth. I could not think of a better way to describe how the statements work.

What in particular do you not understand?

Keep in mind that this is advanced technique, so a certain level of SAS knowledge is required to understand it, combined with the skillset of a programmer.

My personal preference for lookups into a small table while processing a large one is the hash object.

Ajayvit
Obsidian | Level 7

What i did not understood is :

here we are performing lookup for common variable and value which is like (if a and b in merge) but how to manipulate this condition like if a or if a and not b like this.

Thank you.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

After the execution of the second SET statement, the _IORC_ variable will tell you if the statement succeeded (0) or not (1).

The section "Selecting Observations in Both Files" shows an example for "if a and b". By checking for 0 (instead of NE 0), you get the code for "a and not b".

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation