BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm at my wit's end. I'm trying to read in a .csv file in a SAS data step. The last column of the file, a numeric variable, is showing up as all missing values. 

The .csv file was created in a Windows environment. I'm working in Windows on SAS Enterprise Guide 7.15. Here're a few lines of the SAS file: 

monyearpatcountycounttot_mmehighmme
16-JanA70253647538136369
16-Jan2526797.56827
16-Jan34714238297388
16-JanD25693332928873006
16-JanE45056134380550

Here's my code: 

data work.ucd2 (keep=monyear year patcounty count tot_mme highmme);
	retain monyear year patcounty count tot_mme highmme; 
	infile "G:\SAPB\Projects\OD2A\Evaluation\UCD Evaluation\Data\ucd_cures2.csv"
	dlm = ","
	firstobs=2
	truncover
	termstr=crlf;

input monyear $
		patcounty $
		count
		tot_mme
		highmme;    

year2 = "20"||trim(substr(monyear,1,2));
	year = input(year2, 4.);
	put year=;
run;

And here's what the code spits out:  

dbcrow_0-1681183325067.png

I've tried different values in the "termstr" option ("cr", "lf", "crlf"); used or omitted, variously, the "truncover", "missover", and "dsd" options; and tried this solution: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vdmmlcdc/8.1/lestmtsref/n1rill4udj0tfun1fvce3j401plo.htm

I've searched high and low, including in SAS user forums and StackExchange, but nothing works. 

FWIW, PROC IMPORT reads the .csv file in just fine. But there must be some way to do this in a data step.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

PROC IMPORT uses DATA step code behind the scenes. Check your SAS log to see if it shows up or not. If not try this:

options source;

proc import etc....;
run;
dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

Many thanks, SASKiwi. The DATA step did show up in the log. I copied and pasted the relevant lines, adding the LRECL=32767 option and putting in the INFORMAT, FORMAT, and INPUT statements as indicated in the log. 

All to no avail. I'm still getting the missing values. 

Here are a few lines from the log after running the DATA step (with county names redacted):  

dbcrow_0-1681187779905.png

Somehow, some extraneous numbers are added to the end of each line. For example, record #2 has the value 6369 in the variable "highmme", but adds "68" to the value. Similarly, record #3 has the value of 5 for "highmme", but adds "48" at the end. 

Any idea what's going on? Is it related to the problem? 

Many thanks. 

dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

Bingo!  And ... duh. 

Thanks to both of you, SASKiwi and Kurt_Bremser, for taking the time to respond. SASKiwi: I'm sorry I can only select one response as the solution. Looking in the log at what INFILE does with the behind-the-scenes DATA step was fantastic information, but Kurt_Bremer's solution more directly aided me in solving my problem. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation