BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mscarboncopy
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi

This simple if then statement I am trying to use to re-code string variables X_1 X_2 and X_3 ("fever" can show up in any of the 3 X variables but not ever in all of them)  into a numeric Fever=1 is not working and I do not understand why.

if X_1 = "Fever" then do Fever=1;
end;
else do;
if X_2 = "Fever" then Fever=1;
if X_3 = "Fever" then Fever=1;
end;

I tried if (x_1 or X_2 or X_3) = "fever" then do Fever=1;

but this does not seem to work due to the fact that X is not numeric?

What to do in this case ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Mscarboncopy wrote:

Hi

This simple if then statement I am trying to use to re-code string variables X_1 X_2 and X_3 ("fever" can show up in any of the 3 X variables but not ever in all of them)  into a numeric Fever=1 is not working and I do not understand why.

end;
else do;
end;

Thanks,

Try

if x_1= "Fever" or X_2= "Fever" or X_3= "Fever"  then  Fever=1;

SAS has an operator that will compare a single variable to a list of values but not one that compares a list of variables to a single value.

The "DO" was also not needed unless you have multiple statements to execute when you find "Fever". Then you also would need an END to close the Do block.

Also make sure your case is consistent, your example code showed "fever" in the last code but "Fever" in the first bits.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

if X_1 = "Fever" then  Fever=1;
else if X_2 = "Fever" then Fever=1;
else if X_3 = "Fever" then Fever=1;

or

if whichc('FEVER', of X_1-X_3)>0 then Fever = 1;

Either of those should work. If not, please post your full log from running each. 

@Mscarboncopy wrote:

Hi

end;
else do;
end;

Thanks,

Mscarboncopy
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you. It worked as well. 

I went with the array.

ballardw
Super User

@Mscarboncopy wrote:

Hi

end;
else do;
end;

Thanks,

Try

if x_1= "Fever" or X_2= "Fever" or X_3= "Fever"  then  Fever=1;

SAS has an operator that will compare a single variable to a list of values but not one that compares a list of variables to a single value.

The "DO" was also not needed unless you have multiple statements to execute when you find "Fever". Then you also would need an END to close the Do block.

Also make sure your case is consistent, your example code showed "fever" in the last code but "Fever" in the first bits.

Mscarboncopy
Pyrite | Level 9

thank you this also works but I think I will do the array because  I have others to rename.

Reeza
Super User

@ballardw  SAS has an operator that will compare a single variable to a list of values but not one that compares a list of variables to a single value.

That's what WHICHC and WHICHN are, they look for a value in a list of variables. 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Mscarboncopy,

Another option: Use an array and the IN operator.

Example:

data have;
input id (x_1-x_3) (:$30.);
cards;
1 Fever Fatigue Headache
2 Nausea Headache Rash
3 Headache Fever Fatigue 
4 Nausea Headache Fever
;

data want;
set have;
array x_[3];
Fever='Fever' in x_;
run;
Mscarboncopy
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you so much! The array did work and it will help me a lot, since I have others to rename.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation