BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Azeem112
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Community,

I want to write some code from proc sql to data step.

this is my proc sql code.

proc sql;
create table Risk_Register as
select distinct risk_id lable 'Risk ID',
RISK_NM lable = 'Risk Title',
RISK_DESC lable 'Risk Description', ctrl.control_inst_desc lable 'Control Description',
cf1.value_cd as sample1 label 'sample1 ', cf2.value_cd as sample2 label 'sample2',
cf3.value_cd as sample3 label 'sample3', u.user_id lable 'User ID',
u.display_nm lable 'User Name' from SASOprsk.Risk_l r left join Sasoprsk.orauser_l u on u.user_rk = r.owner_user_rk left join ( Sasoprsk.ctrl_x_risk_l ctlrsk inner join Sasoprsk.Control_inst_l ctrl on ctrl.control_inst_rk = ctlrsk.control_inst_rk) on ctlrsk.risk_rk = r.risk_rk left join SASOprsk.orauser_l o on r.owner_user_rk=o.user_rk left join SASOprsk.cust_field_value_l cf1 on ( r.risk_rk=cf1.business_object_rk and cf1.cust_field_nm = "x_sample_1") left join SASOprsk.cust_field_value_l cf2 on ( r.risk_rk=cf2.business_object_rk and cf2.cust_field_nm = "x_sample_2") left join SASOprsk.cust_field_value_l cf3 on ( ctrl.control_inst_rk=cf3.business_object_rk and cf3.cust_field_nm = "x_sample_3"); quit;

How can I write this code by using the minimum data step. I can create a new table for each join and then merge all of them using data step but how can we do the same in data step in a single step. Can we write complex queries in data step like above?

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

No. There's only one by statement allowed in a data step, so you can only combine joins that use the same key variable(s). And you need to prepare your datasets for each merge by doing the necessary sorts.

It is recommended to do such operations in a sequence of steps. You might even find that a sequence of sort and data steps outperforms one single SQL, sometimes by orders of magnitude.

On top of that, you have access to the results of intermediate steps, which makes debugging easier.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

SQL and SAS are different solutions.  SQL is built for relational databases - lots of data stored in many small tables which need merging together.  SAS is built for datasets, lots of data in one dataset.  So use the appropriate tool for the task.  As in this case you have a relational database setup, use SQL to link all those datasets, simplest coding method.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation