BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shradha1
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a block of code which extracts customers who had made a transfer in the last month.  This macro is currently monthly and runs once a month.

Now, I want to run this code on every Monday for the last 4 months.

How can I use a macro to achieve this and convert this exercise from monthly to weekly so that this macro runs on every Monday and we get the list of customers who made a transfer in last 7 days?

%LET Mon_ST = 202111;			
%LET Mon_EN = 202201;

Option obs = Max;			

%macro copy_data();

%DO Mnth = &Mon_ST. %TO &Mon_EN. ;			
%IF %SUBSTR(&Mnth.,5,2) = 13 %THEN %LET Mnth =	%EVAL(%SUBSTR(&Mnth.,1,4)+1)01;	
%let YYYYMMDD =	%SYSFUNC(INTNX(Month,"%SYSFUNC(MDY(%SUBSTR(&Mnth.,5,2),01,%SUBSTR(&Mnth.,1,4)),DATE9.)"D,0,E),YYMMddN8.);

%Let Track_strt=%SYSFUNC(INTNX(Day,"%SYSFUNC(MDY(%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,5,2),%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,7,2),%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,1,4)),DATE9.)"D,-30,B),YYMMDDN8.);
	%Let Track_endt=%SYSFUNC(INTNX(Day,"%SYSFUNC(MDY(%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,5,2),%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,7,2),%SUBSTR(&YYYYMMDD.,1,4)),DATE9.)"D,0,E),YYMMDDN8.);

%Put  &Track_endt. &Track_strt.;	

/***** Block of Code extracting transfer history information in last 1 month *****/

%end;			

%mend;			
%copy_data();	

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

That's not a macro issue, that's a scheduling issue. On a UNIX SAS server, I would simply use cron/crontab to run the code on the desired days.

To limit to data of the last 7 days, use a macro variable:

%let track_strt = %eval(%sysfunc(today()) - 7);
%let track_endt = %sysfunc(today());

These values are the raw SAS date values and can be compared directly to SAS dates in the datasets (no conversion needed). See Maxim 28: Macro Variables Need No Formats.

Similarly, you use the raw values in calculations:

%let mnth=202201;
%let yyyymmdd =	%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(inputn(&mnth.01,yymmdd8.)),0,e),yymmddn8.);
%put &yyyymmdd.;

Also note how I reduced statement complexity by using the INPUTN function instead of MDY and multiple %SUBSTR's.

Shradha1
Obsidian | Level 7
@Kurt_Bremser Agreed!!. From a futuristic view scheduling this task would help. But if I want to do it retrospectively for the past 3 months, then I would need to create a macro and run it manually. That's where I am getting stuck.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So you want weekly data, starting with 15 or 16 weeks back from today?

First, I would limit the data with a WHERE condition, and secondly, use one of the YYWEEK formats for the dates in the reporting procedures (which then use the formatted values).

e.g.

proc means data=sashelp.citiday mean;
class date;
format date yyweeku7.;
var dcd1m;
run;

You can see that the results are grouped by weeks.

ballardw
Super User

Instead of messing about with a bunch of %sysfunc and the  MDY function with way too many %substr calls try using the INPUTN with the YYMMN informat.

Example:

%LET Mon_ST = 202111;

%let date = %sysfunc(inputn(&mon_st.,yymmn6.));

%let textdate= %sysfunc(putn(&date., date9.));

%put Textdate is: &textdate.;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation