BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yatinrao
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to load data from oracle into SAS . for a date field SAS by default treats it as datetime field.

how do I trim the datetime to date in the load call 

my code looks something like this 

proc casutil;

load casdata="WSPLIT" casout="WSPLIT"
vars=
(
(NAME="ROW_DATE",format='ddmonyyyy' formattedlength=9 ),

(NAME="ROW_DATE",format='DATE9' formattedlength=9 ),

/*(NAME="ROW_DATE"),*/
(NAME="ABCD"),

incaslib="MAIN" outcaslib="DBORA" ;

if I use the commented line row_date shows up like 05OCT2020 00:00:00... the uncommented format 

gets me date in 1917388800, I am trying to get just 05OCT2020 

SAS Documentation just says

FORMAT="string"
specifies the format to apply to the variable.

6 REPLIES 6
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@yatinrao,

I don't have Viya where I work, so let me ask what may be a dumb question:  Can you use a function?  In more traditional implementations of SAS, I would use the DATEPART function, something like this:

proc casutil;
load casdata="WSPLIT" casout="WSPLIT"
vars=
(
(NAME="ROW_DATE",format='ddmonyyyy' formattedlength=9 ),
(NAME="ROW_DATE",DATEPART(Row_Date),format='DATE9' formattedlength=9 ),
(NAME="ABCD"),
) 
incaslib="MAIN" outcaslib="DBORA" ;

If you can't use a function, can you create a view and then use the view in conjunction with the CASUTIL/Load CAS data?  Something like:

PROC SQL;
CREATE VIEW My_Lib.My_View  AS 
    SELECT  DATEPART(Oracle_Date_Column ) AS Row_Date FORMAT=DATE9.
        FROM Some_Lib.Some_Table;
QUIT;

Of course you'd want to add more columns, and you'd want to check my syntax, but if you can create a view, you could create the view with the proper data types for your situation, and then use CASUTIL.

Just throwing out some ideas.  Discard if of no help.

Jim

yatinrao
Obsidian | Level 7
Jim

I have tried the first suggestion "(NAME="ROW_DATE",format='ddmonyyyy' formattedlength=9 )" but that just generates a number. I will try the second one today. I do believe almost SAS9.4 code work in Viya also it is likely that this code executes in the SPRE environment.
thanks for your suggestion . SAS Documentation is lacking in this regard.

Yatin
yatinrao
Obsidian | Level 7
Jim

I used format="DATETIME9" FORMATTEDLENGTH=9 which seems to work.

Yatin
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@yatinrao wrote:
Jim

I used format="DATETIME9" FORMATTEDLENGTH=9 which seems to work.

Yatin

There is a big difference between a datetime values (number of seconds) and a date value (number of days) that the DATE format requires. In addition to DATETIME9 there is also the DTDATE9 format for datetime values that displays only the day part.

yatinrao
Obsidian | Level 7
Tom

I am only trying to get the DATE part of the field . time part is all zeroes in the original oracle table.

Yatin
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@yatinrao wrote:
Tom

I am only trying to get the DATE part of the field . time part is all zeroes in the original oracle table.

Yatin

Which is why you had to use a format designed to work with datetime values and not date values. Such as DATETIME, DTDATE, etc.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation