BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

But let's say your customer has 2A's and 2B's,  And let's also say you have lookup codes   1-A1, 1-A2B1,  1-B1, and 1-A1B2,  but not 1-A2B2.  Then you have two possible solutions (1-A2B1+1-B1  or   1-A1B2+1-A1).  What criteria would you want to use to chose between them?

That's the part I think I'm going to have to hard code.  Right now here's the criteria:

If Inst_A gt 6 and Inst_B = 0............

Else If Inst_A gt1 and Inst_B gt 1............

Else If Inst_A = 1 and Inst_B gt 1...........

Else If Inst_A gt 1 and Inst_B = 1.............

So in this case it would calculate it as the second solution you have.

So question:  How would I lookup these values?  I'm seeing how I can put the lookup table in an array, and then look up the i'th element of the array.  Is there a way to have the "1-A2B1" element?

In Excel we can do this with either a Vlookup or a match.  I basically want to do the same idea in SAS.  Find the W, X, Y, Z values for 1-A1B2, add them to those fields, subtract the values from A & B fields, and then repeat the process, this time for 1-A1.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Similar to the knapsack problem.  So your knapsack can hold 2 A and 2 B.   You have a set of items that are each different combinations of A and B. Which combination of those can I fit into my knapsack.

Do you have SAS/OR licensed?  You could probably translate your problem into a resource allocation problem and solve it with one the tools in that suite.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Why does that have to be hard-coded.  Are there no criteria to use in choosing between the two (say whichever new combination has the lowest cost)?  Or if you want, you could choose whichever combination code is alphabetically first.  I would avoid hard-coding if at all possible.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

You make a great point.  I'll do my best to avoid it.  

Back to the array question.  I've got this piece:

proc transpose data=Old_Inst_Table out=OIT_Transpose;
     id Code;
run;

data Old_Inst_Array;

set OIT_Transpose;
     array OIT_Array(8) A1 A1B1 A2 A2B2 A3 A4 A5 A6;

x = OIT_Array(4);
     y = OIT_Array(5);

run;

So this would let y = the 4th element and y = the 5th element (I'm just doing this to test my array statement).  You said there's a way I could reference A2B2 and A3 directly without knowing that they are in the 4th and 5th positions?

mkeintz
PROC Star

Now that I understand that the problem is to start out dealing with collections of instruments to be replaced (where you simultaneously replace some number of A's and B's with new W's and X's), the array statement used in @PaigeMiller and my examples would not be useful until you've exhausted all the pre-coded combination lookups.  Only after you have no remaining qualifying multi-instrument lookups, would using the array statement with one instrument-type at a time be helpful.  That is the context in which I referred to having non-sequential discount levels  (i.e. prices for 1, 2, 5, and 10).

I now think your initial (and more difficult) problem is to look at all the multi-instrument codes that might qualify for a customer, and choose the best one.  Then reduce the count of old instruments (and increase the count of new instruments) according, and re-evaluate the remaining count of old instruments, again appealing first to the multi-instrument codes.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks.

Again, I'm assuming I'd need to do this using arrays?  Is that right?

Or is there some other way to lookup a cell value in a table?  As I said, I've done them as merges before, but I don't think I can iterate the merges.  ie....I can't merge one a value from one part of a lookup table and add it to another value.  I could do the merges over and over again with N number of tables and pick some value that would be more than the number of instruments an account would ever have, but that seems horribly inefficient.

It seems almost like an array would be a way to, more or less, pull a field out of a table and then use it to look up values that I would then add to my totals as I go through the iterations.

BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

Well sadly I think this programming exercise might be beyond my ability level.  Here's the solution I am settling on.  It's hard coded, but the good news is that the section of code that may need to be changed can be programmed pretty easily in the excel table, so if the change is made in excel, I can just copy and pate the code here.

If there's any tips or tricks from here, I'm all ears.  I apologize to those who's advice I seem to have ignored.  There's a whole lot of syntax that I've poured through that I've never seen before, and I've literally spent a day and half trying to figure out a better way to do it.  It seems like its not a simple solution.  

Data Cust_Table;

Input Customer $ Inst_A Inst_B;

datalines;
CustA 1 0
CustB 2 1
CustC 6 0
CustD 7 0
CustE 7 1
CustF 5 2
;

run;

Data Old_Inst_Table /* For reference only */;

input Code $ Inst_A Inst_B Inst_Y Inst_Z;

datalines;
A1   1 0 1 1
A1B1 1 1 2 2
A2   2 0 3 3
A2B2 2 1 4 4
A3   3 0 5 1
A4   4 0 6 2
A5   5 0 7 3
A6   6 0 8 4
;
run;

Data Results_1;

set Cust_Table;

Inst_Y = 0; Inst_Z = 0; A_rem = Inst_A; B_rem = Inst_B;

Do Until (Loop_Control = 0);

if A_rem = 1 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 1; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 1; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 1; end;
          if A_rem = 1 and B_rem = 1 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 1; B_rem = B_rem - 1; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 2; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 2; end;
          if A_rem = 2 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 2; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 3; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 3; end;
          if A_rem = 2 and B_rem = 1 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 2; B_rem = B_rem - 1; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 4; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 4; end;
          if A_rem = 3 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 3; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 5; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 1; end;
          if A_rem = 4 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 4; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 6; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 2; end;
          if A_rem = 5 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 5; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 7; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 3; end;
          if A_rem = 6 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 6; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 8; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 4; end;

else if A_rem gt 6 and B_rem = 0 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 6; B_rem = B_rem - 0; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 8; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 4; end;
          else if A_rem gt 1 and B_rem gt 1 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 1; B_rem = B_rem - 1; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 2; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 2; end;
          else if A_rem = 1 and B_rem gt 1 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 1; B_rem = B_rem - 1; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 2; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 2; end;
          else if A_rem gt 2 and B_rem = 1 then do; A_rem = A_rem - 2; B_rem = B_rem - 1; Inst_Y = Inst_Y + 4; Inst_Z = Inst_Z + 4; end;

Loop_Control = A_rem + B_rem;

end;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 9 in conversation