BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pawright
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for all the effort. About 3 of the first 6 hits from the site-specific google search yielded header pages with non-functional links. Getting to these pages through SAS' query and links yielded worked fine.

Should I consider any use of parenthesized macro variables as a quoted string, or would this be goose chasing?
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Please provide an illustrative code example for code you know is generating this condition.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@JMarkW

This is not code that SAS is complaining about, it is the data in a variable.

No, it isn't. It is your coding. Fix it.

You don't have to send us data but you can always change variable names and comments before you post log to the open space. 

BTW: SAS 9.1.3 is an over 10 years old version on support level C so it would be really time to upgrade.

marq
Calcite | Level 5

This "NOTE" also causes my SAS stored process to claim "Stored Process Error" "This request completed with errors.".

Fixing the problem causes the NOTE and the error condition to go away.

The fix in my case is to use %bquote.

I have html in variables in a SAS dataset which gets loaded into a macro variable using symputx. The double quotes in the html are double double quoted because I am going to have to resolve them inside double quotes.

The ultra-simplified example is:

data _null_;

length html $80;

** html is read from another dataset **;

html = '<table border=""0"" class=""table1"">';

call symputx("html",html);

run;

%let html1 = %scan(&html.,1,>)>; * A macro code operation on html;

data work.test;

put "&html1.";

run;

Fix is:

%let html1 = %bquote(%scan(&html.,1,>)>);

but I don't see why the note is warranted in any case and it certainly should not put the code into error condition.

RobP
Quartz | Level 8

@marq wrote:

This "NOTE" also causes my SAS stored process to claim "Stored Process Error" "This request completed with errors.".

Fixing the problem causes the NOTE and the error condition to go away.

The fix in my case is to use %bquote.

I have html in variables in a SAS dataset which gets loaded into a macro variable using symputx. The double quotes in the html are double double quoted because I am going to have to resolve them inside double quotes.

The ultra-simplified example is:

data _null_;

length html $80;

** html is read from another dataset **;

html = '<table border=""0"" class=""table1"">';

call symputx("html",html);

run;

%let html1 = %scan(&html.,1,>)>; * A macro code operation on html;

data work.test;

put "&html1.";

run;

Fix is:

%let html1 = %bquote(%scan(&html.,1,>)>);

but I don't see why the note is warranted in any case and it certainly should not put the code into error condition.

Thanks Marq - this was exactly the problem I was having and %bquote fixed my issue as well.

ccaulkins9
Pyrite | Level 9

@RobP, @ShelleySessoms, @Kurt_Bremser, @Reeza, @ballardw -

Calling all if even semi-gurus to figure out this one could have been marked as solved.

e-SAS regards,

Reeza
Super User
Without a reproducible example to prove otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with the original answer, of the issue is with the code. OP didn't provide any examples so it's hard to verify, but my guess would be it was likely happening in some macro generated code that s/he wasn't seeing in the programs directly. But they also indicated they were working in 9.1.3 so it's possible it was a bug back then as well.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 10 in conversation