BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

I am new to using SAS remotely. I have the situation where my desktop not installed with SAS 9.4 . In order to run the programs, first I need to connect the secure server to access all the data and programs, then Connect to remote desktop where SAS9.4 installed. From the remote desktop I run the programs. However sometime remote desktop have issues where it  have lagging issues. My desktop have the ultraedit and notepad++ application. I am looking how to run the SAS codes using these programs. I am pretty new to this. I really appreciate if you guys help me in configuring these. Any documents or sources will be a great help. Thanks.  Happy holidays...

11 REPLIES 11
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

my organization don't have EG version, and they don't allow us to download other than already installed.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

<sarcasm>Congratulations!</sarcasm>

Your organisation has picked the most inefficient way to run SAS from a remote server, by orders of magnitude.

I tested something similar once, using the X windows protocol (which is considerably "leaner" than RDP/Citrix), and found out that running something simple like

proc print data=sashelp.class;
run;

produced about a 1000 times as much network traffic as running the same thing from EG.

Using an alternate external editor means that you have to run all code in batch mode, load the log, inspect it (or code your own log parser), search for result files to look at them, and so on.

SAS on Demand for Academics (which supports 100k+ users all over the world) demonstrates how to run SAS in such a distributed environment, using the SAS BI Server infrastructure with SAS Studio (where all you need on the client is a browser).

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

I totally agree with you. Its inefficient way. I realized recently  that when there was too much network traffic, where opening a single file took 6 min. Thank you for your suggestions

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can try to use X Windows directly. See if you can ping the server from your desktop. If yes, see if you can log on to it with SSH. If that also works, get one of the available X servers (X-Manager, Cygwin, ...), set it up, run SSH with X Forwarding enabled, log on to the server, and run dtsession (or the equivalent Linux command).

RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11
  • When you remote login how do you submit SAS programs ?
  • Do you start "SAS". and see the display manager UI (SAS session with Editor/Log/etc windows)  ?
  • Is this the 'session' that is lagging out ?
    • or is the remote desktop connection failing instead ?
  • Are data and programs on same machine you remote desktop on ?
  • Enterprise Guide (EG) comes with SAS installation.  Tell your org to install it on your workstation machine or client machine, tell them otherwise they are wasting org resources having you look for a work around.
  • Why do you think a 3rd party tool would alleviate the lagging issue ?
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11
  • When you remote login how do you submit SAS programs ?I create and run batch mode using SAS 9.4
  • Do you start "SAS". and see the display manager UI (SAS session with Editor/Log/etc windows)  ?

I don't have the idea about it, how to check it. let me know if this screen shot helps. this is one opens in log when I open SAS. can you please let me know.

• Is this the 'session' that is lagging out ?
    • or is the remote desktop connection failing instead ? Mostly remote desktop SAS is so slow that I type at one place and move the mouse it typing it different location. Its that slow
  • Are data and programs on same machine you remote desktop on ? Yes all the programs on the remote desktop, however I can access on my desktop once I connect to the secure server.
  • Enterprise Guide (EG) comes with SAS installation.  Tell your org to install it on your workstation machine or client machine, tell them otherwise they are wasting org resources having you look for a work around. I asked them initially to install in my  desktop. I don't know know the reason , they said they don't. We have to run all the programs using the Remote desktop SAS 9.4.
  • Why do you think a 3rd party tool would alleviate the lagging issue ? I believe it's not alleviate the lagging issue. But at least I can write the code/ edit and run remote desktop runs normal. Like I mentioned above when I open program with SAS 9.4 its really lagging I am typing at one place it printing at one place.
RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11

You should remove the LOG image and repost after blurring the company name and license number.

Company specific issues about SAS operation problems can also be submitted to SAS Support (support.sas.com) with full diagnostic info you don't want on a public forum.

You (or submit IT ticket) might want to try to figure out why interaction with the remote desktop is so slow.

Does it only happen after starting SAS ?

You can do some things to reduce the resources being used

- lower connection resolution, colors, sound

- VPN / MTU setting

- Reduce resources used by remote programs (i.e. is your SAS session using up all the memory, trying to connect to every printer in your organization, requiring a lot a disk swap, etc...)

Other situations

- Are there other users also running remote desktop sessions on the host ?

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thanks. Is there any way I can delete image now from my post?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Click on the rotated ellipses icon next the message and select EDIT from the menu.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your screen shot makes it look like you are trying to run SAS code interactively.  In that case look into using some type of X session emulator that runs on the remote server adn just sends screen updates to your local session.  For example X Domains from Reflection.

Or just run your SAS jobs non-interactive.  That would be all you could get from your request to run SAS from your editor.

To run a SAS program you save the program as a file (normally with .sas extension on the filename) and issue a command like:

sas myfile

from the Unix prompt.  This will run the file named myfile.sas and write the files myfile.log and myfile.lst (for what SAS now calls the LISTING destination).

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation