BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sally_Caffrey
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have many datasets in a library with same name prefix like x_. I want to set most of them into one dataset, however except for a few datasets like x_11 and x_23. 

My code is :

data want;

set x_:;

run;

How to exclude x_11 and x_23 from set statement ?

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I can think of two ways, the first may not be the fastest since it reads all data sets and then discard records from the unwanted data sets.

data want;
    set x_: indsname=indsname;
    if indsname =:'WORK.X_11' or indsname=:'WORK.X_23' then delete;
run;

The second way is to create a macro variable which lists all the data sets except the ones you don't want, then use the macro variable in the SET statement.

proc sql;
    select memname into :names separated by ' ' from dictionary.tables 
    where libname="WORK" and memname eqt 'X_' and memname net 'X_11' and memname net 'X_23';
quit;
data want;
    set &names;
run;
--
Paige Miller
Sally_Caffrey
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot! Since I only have ~50 datasets to combine, so the speed is not a problem. I tried the first way and it works after a little change:

data want;
    set x_: indsname=indsname;
    if scan(indsname,1,'.') ='WORK' and scan(indsname,2,'.') in ('X_11' 'X_23') then delete;
run;

😀

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

May I ask why the change was needed? It seems like the code I wrote ought to work unchanged.

--
Paige Miller
Sally_Caffrey
Obsidian | Level 7
Sorry I write the code incorrecly just now. Your code is correct. 🙂 May I ask why use =: ?The result does not change if remove ':'
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Sally_Caffrey wrote:
Sorry I write the code incorrecly just now. Your code is correct. 🙂 May I ask why use =: ?The result does not change if remove ':'

In your original problem statement, where you used 

it wasn't clear to me if the data set names were X_1 X_2 X_3 and so on, or could there also be X_1a X_2a X_3b. So the =: (equal-colon) was used to find all data set names that begin with X_. That's what the =: does, it looks for strings that begin with whatever is in the quotes to the right of the =:

It would appear that you don't have anything other than numbers after X_ and so the colon is not needed.

I also realize now that if you have X_233, then this will not get selected as anything that begins with X_23 is not selected. So really, a more complete specification of the problem would have helped.

--
Paige Miller
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below how that's often done.

proc sql noprint;
  select cats(libname,'.',memname) into :memlist separated by ' '
  from dictionary.tables
  where 
    libname = 'WORK' and 
    memname not in ('X_11','X_23')
  ;
quit;

data want;
  set &memlist;
run;
Sally_Caffrey
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Patrick, thank you! This method works for me! It is great that it gives libname in the macro name so I can set dataset in any library.
ballardw
Super User

If all your data sets are sequentially numbered something like this should work:

data want;
   set x_1 - x_10  x_12-x_22 x_24-x_<whatever the last number may be>
   ;
run;

One concern though, how sure are you that all variables with the same names are of the same type or have the same lengths?

@Sally_Caffrey wrote:

Hi,

I have many datasets in a library with same name prefix like x_. I want to set most of them into one dataset, however except for a few datasets like x_11 and x_23. 

My code is :

data want;

run;

How to exclude x_11 and x_23 from set statement ?

Sally_Caffrey
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Ballardw, the variables in all of datasets are created using one blank dataset with specific variable names, in wihch the variables format have been set up.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation