BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza, I'll test my real data with both approaches suggested by @novinosrin and @mkeintz . I'll let you know what happened. 

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
why max(code in (1,2,6))? codes will be assessed selected by max(weight_evidence) later?
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

max(code in (1,2,6))? results in a boolean 1s for id with 1,2,6 and 0's for id's that doesn't have 1, 2,6 . and i pick the 1s as you can imagine

I am not far away from mastering proc sql inside out. So i love playing all forms of it.. It's almost getting to the point, as the requirement narrates to my mind, the code is in my fingers 🙂

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
it sounds like you're a poet writing a sonnet in SQL language
mkeintz
PROC Star

@Cruise wrote:

hI

WEIGHT_EVIDENCE IS CREATED BASED ON THE CODE LIKE FOLLOWING: 

if code=1 then weight_evidence=10; else
if code=2 then weight_evidence=8; else
if code=6 then weight_evidence=6;

You've just told us that weight is a monotonic descending function of code.  So a "by ... descending WGT" produces the same order as "by ... CODE".   So I believe this will work:

proc sort data= have (where=(code in (1,2,6))) out=need;
  by Id diff_range code;
run;

data want;
  set need; 
  by id diff_range;
  if first.id;
run;

which will give you the smallest diff_ranges for each id.  And in the case of tied smallest diff_range, it will choose the smallest code (i.e. the largest weight).

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

The ICD-9 code also includes alpha numeric and I needed to assign ordinal numbers to these codes by using if-then logic. I'm wondering then proc sort by weigh_evidence would do instead code itself. Sorry the value I chose for 'code' was  a bad example in the original post. 
V10
V76
C18
C20

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza@novinosrin@mkeintz@r_behata

This post had evolved from:

- picking the rows associated with the minimum value of one specific variable (min_diff) where other variable 'code" takes values of  (1,2,6). 

to:

the need to investigate: 

- how much is the compromise in the 'min_diff' if you select the cases only based on the strength of evidence (relevance of diagnostic codes to the disease of interest) regardless of 'min_diff'. 

Shall I create a new post to investigate the level of compromise in 'min_diff' if selection criteria is based on the strength of evidence only? I now have a clue what's happening in my actual data thus this new question emerged. I learned from your alternative approaches and questions asked during this post. 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Yes a new thread is easier to follow. Thank you!

mkeintz
PROC Star

Works for me.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 15 likes
  • 5 in conversation