BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mapk
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried to convert wide format data to long format but it only gives me the result in output format. I would like to save the output of this in a variable name (sirstvt_long) and be able to print it as print(sirstvt_long). Also, I would like to drop Subject columns and sort this table by instrument column (starting with I1, I2,..I5). How do I do this in SAS?  Sorry I am new to SAS and your help would be appreciated.

data sirstvt;
infile 'https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/anova/SiRstvt.dat' url firstobs=61 truncover;
input I1-I5 ;
run;

data sirstvt;
set sirstvt;
Subject+1;
run;

proc transpose data=sirstvt
OUT=sirstvt_long(rename=(Col1=Resistance)) name=Instrument;
by Subject; /** for each subject **/
var I1 I2 I3 I4 I5; /** make a row for these variables **/
run;

print(sirstvt_long);

Result I want should be in this format:

Instrument Resistance
1 196.3052
1 196.1240
1 196.1890
1 196.2569
1 196.3403
2 196.3042
2 196.3825
2 196.1669
2 196.3257
2 196.0422

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

Without knowing the content of you in file I can't actually run the first part of the code to verify it. But assuming that that one works, instead of your last line you could replace it with the following code:

*Sort the table by your I(n) variables and drop the column subject; 

proc sort 	data=sirstvt_long 
		out=sirstvt_long_2 (drop=subject);
	by I1 I2 I3 I4 I5;
run;

*Print the table, but don't show row number in the output. Also use labels if there are any.;
proc print data=sirstvt_long_2 noobs label;
run;

This will print the table on screen. Do you want it written to a space separated text file? 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

Without knowing the content of you in file I can't actually run the first part of the code to verify it. But assuming that that one works, instead of your last line you could replace it with the following code:

*Sort the table by your I(n) variables and drop the column subject; 

proc sort 	data=sirstvt_long 
		out=sirstvt_long_2 (drop=subject);
	by I1 I2 I3 I4 I5;
run;

*Print the table, but don't show row number in the output. Also use labels if there are any.;
proc print data=sirstvt_long_2 noobs label;
run;

This will print the table on screen. Do you want it written to a space separated text file? 

mapk
Fluorite | Level 6
Not sure why I am still getting this error:
1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 proc sort data=sirstvt_long out=sirstvt_long_2 (drop=subject);
74 by I1 I2 I3 I4 I5;
ERROR: Variable I1 not found.
ERROR: Variable I2 not found.
ERROR: Variable I3 not found.
ERROR: Variable I4 not found.
ERROR: Variable I5 not found.
75 run;

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: The data set WORK.SIRSTVT_LONG_2 may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 variables.
WARNING: Data set WORK.SIRSTVT_LONG_2 was not replaced because this step was stopped.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.07 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds
heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

I read your code a bit to fast. Yes, I1-I5 does not exist anymore, they have been transposed to the variable Instrument. 

mapk
Fluorite | Level 6

Instead of  

by I1 I2 I3 I4 I5;

I had to use 

by Instrument

It worked now. Thanks a lot.

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@mapk :

For the public record, the data extracted from the URL you're referencing is tantamount to:

data sirstvt ;                               
  input i1-i5 ;                              
  cards ;                                    
196.3052 196.3042 196.1303 196.2795 196.2119 
196.124  196.3825 196.2005 196.1748 196.1051 
196.189  196.1669 196.2889 196.1494 196.185  
196.2569 196.3257 196.0343 196.1485 196.0052 
196.3403 196.0422 196.1811 195.9885 196.209  
run ;                                        

To get what you want as shown in your output sample, there's no need to sort:

data sirstvt ;                                                                               
  infile 'https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/anova/SiRstvt.dat' url firstobs=61 truncover ;
  input i1-i5 ;                                                                              
  put i1-i5 ;                                                                                
run ;                                                                                        

proc transpose out = _sirstvt ;                                                              
run ;                                                                                        

data sirstvt_long (keep = Instrument Resistance) ;                                           
  set _sirstvt ;                                                                             
  array col col: ;                                                                           
  Instrument = _n_ ;                                                                         
  do over col ;                                                                              
    Resistance = col ;                                                                       
    output ;                                                                                 
  end ;                                                                                      
  format Resistance 8.4 ;                                                                    
run ;                                                                                        

proc print data = sirstvt_long noobs ;                                                       
run ;                                                                                        

Kind regards

Paul D.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation