BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ginak
Quartz | Level 8

Hi there,

I have a dataset with long text fields. I need to replace every instance of a dollar amount, say, "439.33" with "439.33USD"

Here's a sample data set:

data one;
infile cards  ;
length name $200;
input name;
cards;
Ccy="USD">738.56</NS!figlwijfoaiu345Ccy="USD">38.44</ScT@
run;

So what I have is:

ginak_3-1589317167406.png

What I want is USD to be present after every dollar amount as is here:

ginak_1-1589316860096.png

I found two different community forums, and know that I will need a combination of

1. index
    1. To find the decimal point that follows any "USD" in the text
  2. substr
  3. tranwrd functions
    1. To replace that dollar amount with [dollaramount]USD

There could be multiple instances of Ccy="USD">[dollar amount] in the string. I just want to tack on the USD after the dollar amount, but not every dollar amount is XYZ.AB, some are YZ.AB, some are Z.AB etc. There will always be a decimal point with two decimal places though that follow the Ccy="USD"

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
ginak
Quartz | Level 8
Hi there, yes it'll always say "USD" (and include the double quotes in the text too). Thanks!
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

This replaces:

at least a digit followed by a dot followed by 2 digits 

with:

the group found followed by USD.

data TWO;
 set ONE; 
 NAME2=prxchange('s/(\d+\.\d\d)/\1USD/',-1,NAME);
run; 

{edited to avoid losing one character}

ginak
Quartz | Level 8
I think this works, thank you! It works with my fake sample data but I'll try it with my actual data tomorrow and let you know if I have any questions 🙂 I never understood the prxchange command and where it comes from. Would love to learn more since it seems so useful
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The syntax is that of Perl regular expressions. 

Tons of tutorials on the web, that's how I learnt.  

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

The solution presented by @ChrisNZ goes part of the way, but I would add a bit to make sure that only the right numbers get selected:

name=prxchange('s/("USD">\d+\.\d\d)(?=<)/\1USD/',-1,name);

This looks for the string "USD"> followed by at least one digit, a period and two digits (that's the stuff in the first paranthesis). The whole thing should be followed by "<", but that string is not included in the match (the second paranthesis, "?=" denotes a look-ahead buffer), the match is replaced with the same plus the text "USD".

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation