BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SSin
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a data set which contains Character variable "Housing_type". The response to that variables are "3-room", "4-room", "5-room", "Condominium", "Landed property" and "Other". 

I would like to recode  3-room, 4-room and 5-room  into "HDB" and Condominium, Landed Property and Other into "Non-HDB". 

How may I do so please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@SSin wrote:

I have a data set which contains Character variable "Housing_type". The response to that variables are "3-room", "4-room", "5-room", "Condominium", "Landed property" and "Other". 

I would like to recode  3-room, 4-room and 5-room  into "HDB" and Condominium, Landed Property and Other into "Non-HDB". 

How may I do so please?

Another approach is to use a custom format, which if you do this frequently may be a better solution. Example:

Proc format library=work;
value $ht
"3-room", "4-room", "5-room" = 'HDB'
"Condominium", "Landed property" , "Other" = 'Non-HDB'
;

data want;
  set have;
  ht = put(housing_type,$ht.);
run;

Or try

Proc Print data=have;
   format housing_type $ht.;
run;

An advantage of a custom format is that if you find that you need to add an item, such as possibly "6-room" then you only need to add it to the format definition and rerun the proc format code. No need to add extra if/then/else.

If using the format directly with the variable instead of creating an additional variable then you have the option to use the groups dynamically in most analysis, reporting or graphing procedures.

Such as:

value $ht
;
value $ht_3lvl
"2-room","3-room"='Small HDB' 
"4-room", "5-room" = 'Large HDB'
;
run;
Proc freq data=have;
   tables housing_type;
   format housing_type $ht_3lvl.;
run;

I of course have no idea if "Small" or "Large" actually apply to your need, that is just an example.

Since your data likely does not have any 2-room from your description the "Small" would just be 3-room.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star
Have you tried using IF THEN statements in a DATA step? You will be using them virtually every day, so it's a good time to learn them. Give it a shot and post the results if you have any difficulty.
SSin
Obsidian | Level 7
I used If/then. It is like that If/then statement totally does not work. Normally, if and then suppose to go blue if the statement works. But they remains faded and when I run it nothing happen. Do you have any idea why it is not working at all? I am using SAS university edition for the first time.
Astounding
PROC Star

I'm squinting, but I still can't see your program.  If you post the entire DATA step that you tried, I would be happy to respond.

Reeza
Super User

You can use IF/THEN to recode variables. The general structure is as follows:

length new_housing_type $12.;

if housing_type  in ('3-room'  '4-room' '5-room') then new_housing_type = 'HBD';
else if housing_type in ("Condo") then new_housing_type = 'Condo';
else new_housing_type = 'Other';

You'll need to modify it to match your exact cases. Note these are case sensitive comparisons. 

@SSin wrote:

How may I do so please?

SSin
Obsidian | Level 7
I used If/then. It is like that If/then statement totally does not work. Normally, if and then suppose to go blue if the statement works. But they remains faded and when I run it nothing happen. That is why. I am using SAS university edition for the first time.
ballardw
Super User

@SSin wrote:

How may I do so please?

Another approach is to use a custom format, which if you do this frequently may be a better solution. Example:

value $ht
;

data want;
  set have;
  ht = put(housing_type,$ht.);
run;

Or try

Proc Print data=have;
   format housing_type $ht.;
run;

An advantage of a custom format is that if you find that you need to add an item, such as possibly "6-room" then you only need to add it to the format definition and rerun the proc format code. No need to add extra if/then/else.

If using the format directly with the variable instead of creating an additional variable then you have the option to use the groups dynamically in most analysis, reporting or graphing procedures.

Such as:

value $ht
;
value $ht_3lvl
"2-room","3-room"='Small HDB' 
"4-room", "5-room" = 'Large HDB'
;
run;
Proc freq data=have;
   tables housing_type;
   format housing_type $ht_3lvl.;
run;

I of course have no idea if "Small" or "Large" actually apply to your need, that is just an example.

Since your data likely does not have any 2-room from your description the "Small" would just be 3-room.

SSin
Obsidian | Level 7
Many thanks!!
SSin
Obsidian | Level 7
Many thanks!!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation