BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
radha009
Quartz | Level 8

i have files on my local windows machine. i download everyday. i run the sas code from the unix sas. How do i get the files from the windows to unix.

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you would like to make your processes more automated then I suggest you talk to your SAS or Unix administrator about setting up a shared folder than can be read by both the SAS Unix server and from Windows. Then all you would need to do is copy the files to this folder from your PC (maybe Windows Explorer Copy and Paste?) and they would then be automatically readable from Unix SAS.

There are more technical options like FTP (File Transfer Protocol). That would require extra coding in your Unix SAS jobs though and you would still need your Unix administrator to allow the server to read files from your PC.

Reeza
Super User
It depends a LOT on your set up, so that's why talking with IT is the best idea. Otherwise, if you're using EG for example, you can look into the Copy Task. I think it ships by default now.
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Radha009

You could also use a FTP-program like WINSCP (free downolad) to upload the files, and if you can get your files via FTP, you can use 2 remote sessions in WINSCP and copy the files direct from the source to Unix. 

But if you do it every day, I would suggest that you asked your IT department to make a CRON task to download the files direct to UNIX on a regular schedule. If it is the same SAS program you run every day, it could be included in the CRON task also. 

It would free you from concerns about acquiring data, so you can concentrate on using data. It would transfer process responsibility to operators with tools to monitor the process, and it would run whether you are in office or not. Maxim: Everything that could be automated should be automated. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation