BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
valarievil
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello! I am trying to perform a right tailed test on a set of data. Its for average gpa of 700 students.

Here is my code:

libname soapy '\\Client\D$\SAS\Data';
data FINAL;
infile '\\Client\D$\SAS\Data\finaldata.txt';
input ID GPA HSRANK ACT YEAR;
run;
proc means data= FINAL n mean stderr alpha=0.02 median p50 clm maxdec=2;
var GPA;
run;
proc univariate data=FINAL alpha=0.02 cibasic mu0=3.03;
var GPA;
run;

I get a confidence interval for the mean which is [2.92, 3.03]. Then I tested for Mu0=3.03 since SAS can't do Mu0>3.03. from the proc univariate command I get the test statistic -2.20461 with an associated p-value 0.0278. (alpha=0.02). These results are for a 2 tailed test with the alternative hypothesis Ha: mean does not equal 3.03. How to get the p-value for Ha: Mu>3.03? Can I get SAS to print it?

Any help would be appreciated! I've attached the text file with the data if it helps...

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So you want a 98% 1-sided confidence interval, instead of a 98% 2-sided confidence interval which is what SAS provides by default.

A 98% 1-sided confidence interval has 2% of the distribution in the right tail; a 98% 2-sided confidence interval has 1% of the distribution in the right tail and 1% in the left tail.

So to get 2% in the right tail, you ask SAS for a 96% confidence interval, which produces a test with 2% in the right tail and 2% in the left tail. Then you ignore the left tail, and only use the right tail.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation