BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Moraes86
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I wish to extract some words from the variable observation.

My goal is to extract these words (such as " H1", "N1")  from the variable (observation) to the variable observation1.

Thanks all in advance, 

So my data is described below:

data test2; set test2;

user Observation observation1
367 sample type      indicated the presence of subtype H1. However,  H1
1427 sample type  indicated the presence of subtype H1. However, the               H1
3046 sample type  this case and indicated the presence of         multiple types, including H1, H3, N1, and N2.                H1, H3 and N1
3146 sample  type and indicated the presence of    multiple types, including H1, H3, N1, and N2.         H1, H3, N1, and N2    
8910 sample type (H,N)  fluid    indicated the presence of               multiple types, including H1, H3 and N2.  H1, H3 and N2
9091 sample type      indicated the presence of type N1.   N1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jerrya00
Fluorite | Level 6

Please try this:

data test_1;
set test;
length word $32. Observation_1 $72.;
delims = " =;,.()<>/'"; /* delimiters: space, comma, period, ... */
numWords = countw(Observation, delims); /* determining how many words in the text */
Observation_1='';
do i = 1 to numWords; /* split text into words */
word = scan(Observation, i, delims);
if compress(word) in ('H1', 'H2', 'H3', 'N1', 'N2') then
Observation_1=trim(Observation_1)||compress(word)||',';
end;
Observation_1=substr(compress(Observation_1), 1, length(compress(Observation_1))-1);
keep user Observation Observation_1;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Moraes86
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear ballardw,

My final result for "observation1 variable" initially is to obtain information from each line.
For example, I would like these "multiple types, including h1, H3 and N1.
So, if I have this result counting as you mention. Later, I can transform it into an outcome like "h1, H3 and N1" or "N1" in case of the other result.

Thanks in advance again,

Daniel

ballardw
Super User

@Moraes86 wrote:

Dear ballardw,

My final result for "observation1 variable" initially is to obtain information from each line.
For example, I would like these "multiple types, including h1, H3 and N1.
So, if I have this result counting as you mention. Later, I can transform it into an outcome like "h1, H3 and N1" or "N1" in case of the other result.

Thanks in advance again,

Daniel

And this is exactly why we request that you do not post duplicate questions. I asked a question in the OTHER thread https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/How-to-extract-a-specific-text-from-each-cell-from-th...

and you "answer" it here. Actually still haven't answered it because the question was about how consistent your text actually is, and how the *bleep* you are going to use the resulting variable.

tarheel13
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I think if it was me, I would use prxmatch to make indicator variables and then do an array of those and concatenate the array to show what was in there.
Jerrya00
Fluorite | Level 6

Please try this:

data test_1;
set test;
length word $32. Observation_1 $72.;
delims = " =;,.()<>/'"; /* delimiters: space, comma, period, ... */
numWords = countw(Observation, delims); /* determining how many words in the text */
Observation_1='';
do i = 1 to numWords; /* split text into words */
word = scan(Observation, i, delims);
if compress(word) in ('H1', 'H2', 'H3', 'N1', 'N2') then
Observation_1=trim(Observation_1)||compress(word)||',';
end;
Observation_1=substr(compress(Observation_1), 1, length(compress(Observation_1))-1);
keep user Observation Observation_1;
run;

Moraes86
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Jerrya00,

It worked very well.

Thanks all for the valuable help.

Daniel

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation