BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Skillside
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have two datasets saved in sasuser library. Both are mostly different, however some of variables have the same names but they mean something different. Please, let me know how to merge them with automatic new variables names in one of datasets (for repeated variables names).

My code at the moment is:

data a(rename=(E3=E33)); /*(here is the try for renaming one of known repeated names of variable)

set sasuser.datA(rename=(E3=E3num E3num=E33 F1=F111 UW1=UW11));

E3 = put(E3num, 7.);

run;

data datBA;
merge sasuser.datB datA;
by id;
run;

if age_group = '55 - 59 y' then delete;

Moreover, the log says as well that an error occur when i try to delete some observations "ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order".

Can you see any issues in my code?

Thank you in advance for any response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is no AUTOMATIC renaming.  You could write some code to compare the variable names from the two datasets and then use that to generate code.  But for two datasets it is not worth the effort.

You second error is probably because you tried to run a IF statement outside of any DATA step.

For what your describe the easiest way is to use the RENAME= dataset option on INCOMING datasets so the name conflict is fixed BEFORE the data step tries to combine the data. 

So for example if both datasets had variables E3 and F1 you might do something like this:

data want;
  merge
    sasuser.datA (rename=(  e3 = A_e3 f1=A_f1 ))
    sasuser.datB (rename=(  e3 = B_e3 f1=B_f1 ))
  ;
  by id;
run;

I rarely use the RENAME= dataset option on an outgoing dataset from a DATA step. For that you can just use the RENAME statement instead.  The RENAME= dataset option is more useful on the outgoing dataset from a PROC step where you cannot use the RENAME statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

For the renaming part the code could look as below:

data datBA;
  merge 
    sasuser.datB (rename=(e3=datb_e3 e4=datb_e4))
    datA
    ;
  by id;
run;

You can now write code like:

e3=put(datab_e3, 7.) 

...but make sure that you don't have a variable e3 coming from source table datA.

If you just want to change the variable e3 then you could also use code as below:

For the error you observe: 

Hard to say without the full SAS log.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is no AUTOMATIC renaming.  You could write some code to compare the variable names from the two datasets and then use that to generate code.  But for two datasets it is not worth the effort.

You second error is probably because you tried to run a IF statement outside of any DATA step.

For what your describe the easiest way is to use the RENAME= dataset option on INCOMING datasets so the name conflict is fixed BEFORE the data step tries to combine the data. 

So for example if both datasets had variables E3 and F1 you might do something like this:

data want;
  merge
    sasuser.datA (rename=(  e3 = A_e3 f1=A_f1 ))
    sasuser.datB (rename=(  e3 = B_e3 f1=B_f1 ))
  ;
  by id;
run;

I rarely use the RENAME= dataset option on an outgoing dataset from a DATA step. For that you can just use the RENAME statement instead.  The RENAME= dataset option is more useful on the outgoing dataset from a PROC step where you cannot use the RENAME statement.

Skillside
Calcite | Level 5
Thank You guys for the answers. Well, isn't it a limitation of SAS then? Because overwriting the databases because of same variables names is kinda not comfortable? Once again, thank you.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Skillside wrote:
Thank You guys for the answers. Well, isn't it a limitation of SAS then? Because overwriting the databases because of same variables names is kinda not comfortable? Once again, thank you.

No database will let you have 2 variables/columns with the same name in the same table.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation