BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Hi community,

I have two indistinguishable sets of code for solving data for two different variables (the codes for each set includes: proc sort, proc means, merge, proc rank, and trim data), the order of the lines of code and everything is similar between these two sets of codes (the difference is only the name of the variable).

I can get to the goal with these two sets of code, but since I saw the aesthetic SAS, I believe that there should be one way to merge these codes (especially they are resemblant to each other).  I am wondering if we can merge these two sets of code together. I am wondering if you can suggest me the way that I can search or follow.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

If you have a lot of common code preceding or following these two distinct data step, then you could embed them in a macro definition as below:

%macro mytask(dsn=);

**** preceding common code here *****;

%if &dsn=amihud %then %do;
    data amihud_;
      set finish_error;
      by Type;
      amihud=abs_r/trading_vol;
      year=year(date);
      if first.type then trading_vol=. and amihud=.;
    run;
  %end;
  %else %if &dsn=closing %then %do;
    data closing_;
      set finish_error;
      by Type;
      b=divide(pa_us-pb_us,mean_pa_pb);
      if b> 0.5*mean_pa_pb then b=.;
      year=year(date);
    run;
  %end;

**** trailing common code here *****;

%mend mytask;

Note I assume that these two distinct steps occur in precisely the same relative position within the common code.

Then all you need to do is invoke the macro based on your needs.  Below the macro is invoked twice, once for each distinct code:

%mytask(dsn=amihud);
%mytask(dsn=closing);

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm not aware of any way to "merge code" other than by applying human intelligence and effort to the process.

--
Paige Miller
smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You would want to use a sas macro
%macro mycode(indsname, outdsname);
< your code>;
%mend mycode;
%mycode;
The thing you have to remember that the input to the first step would be indsname. For example if you use a data step as your first step then
Data new;
Set &indsname;
Run;
If your first step is a proc then
Proc <name of proc> data=&indsname.

On the same note for output if your last step is a datastep then
Data &outdsname.;
Set <some data set>;
Run;
If your last step is a proc then you specify the outdsname on out= line as shown below
out = &outdsname.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Kurt_Bremser , one part of my code is as below:

options compress=yes reuse=yes;
data finish_error;
set 'D:\link_to_the_dataset';
run;
proc sort data=finish_error;
by Type date;
run;
data amihud_;
set finish_error;
by Type;
year=year(date);
run;
proc rank data=create_var groups=100 out=temp;
by year;
var lag_p_us;
ranks rank;
run;

data trim_price;
set temp;
if 0 < rank < 99;
run;
proc sort data=trim_price;
by Type;
run;
data amihud_final (drop= p_us lag_p_us rank rename=(obs=obs_amihud));
set trim_price;
run;

Thank you!

Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

And this code is for the variable amihud, I have a similar code for another variable named "b". The code for dealing with them are similar, just different in calculation here:
for amihud:

data amihud_;
set finish_error;
by Type;
year=year(date);
run;

for b:

data closing_;
set finish_error;
by Type;
year=year(date);
run;

Other codes in these two sets are indistinguishable.

Thanks!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Is the question how to create both variables in one data step?

If so it looks like it should be possible.  

Note that your first data step has either a mistake or a very strange syntax that should probably be commented to explain to yourself what it means.

data amihud_closing;
  set finish_error;
  by Type;
  year=year(date);
* Calculate AMIHUD ;
 * if first.type then trading_vol=. and amihud=.;
  if first.type then call missing(trading_vol,amihud);
* Calculate B ;
run;
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Tom , can you please quote the data step that you feel it is strange, I am going to have a look at it carefully. Thanks

Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11
Or do you mean this one?
data finish_error;
set 'D:\link_to_the_dataset';
run;

This is how I call my dataset using the SAS EG.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Phil_NZ wrote:

Hi @Tom , can you please quote the data step that you feel it is strange, I am going to have a look at it carefully. Thanks

I left the line in the code, only as a comment.  This statement:

trading_vol=. and amihud=.;

is setting TRADING_VOL to zero.  SAS evaluates boolean expressions as either zero or one and neither one will be considered equal to missing so the result is always zero. 

I replaced it with:

call missing(trading_vol,amihud);

which will set both TRADING_VOL and AMIHUD to missing.

Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11

Awesome, thank you @Tom  for this comprehensive explanation

mkeintz
PROC Star

If you have a lot of common code preceding or following these two distinct data step, then you could embed them in a macro definition as below:

%macro mytask(dsn=);

**** preceding common code here *****;

%if &dsn=amihud %then %do;
    data amihud_;
      set finish_error;
      by Type;
      year=year(date);
    run;
  %end;
  %else %if &dsn=closing %then %do;
    data closing_;
      set finish_error;
      by Type;
      year=year(date);
    run;
  %end;

**** trailing common code here *****;

%mend mytask;

Note I assume that these two distinct steps occur in precisely the same relative position within the common code.

Then all you need to do is invoke the macro based on your needs.  Below the macro is invoked twice, once for each distinct code:

%mytask(dsn=amihud);
%mytask(dsn=closing);

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation