BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lb16fa
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone, I'm a bit new to SAS and I need a bit of help merging two datasets.

My first data set has a ticker symbol and multiple years for each ticker. Example: lib1.tickerdata

Ticker        Year

APPL        2000

APPL        2001

APPL        2002

MSFT       2000

MSFT       2001

My second dataset holds an ID number for each ticker. Example: lib1.IDdata

Ticker      ID number

APPL       0001

MSFT      0002

I would like to merge the two so that it looks like:

Ticker       Year      ID Number

APPL        2000     0001

APPL        2001     0001

APPL        2002     0001

MSFT       2000     0002

MSFT       2001     0002

How can I perform this task? Essentially, I'd like to keep lib1.Tickerdata the same and add a new variable, ID number, based on the ticker. Similar to what a VLOOKUP could do on excel. I used this code, but for some reason it gives me one extra observation than the original set (lib1.tickerdata). SAS also gives me the note: MERGE statement has more than one data set with repeats of BY values. Is this note okay given the fact that I'd like the keep the duplicates in lib1.tickerdata?

data lib1.merged
merge lib1.tickerdata (in=in1)
lib1.IDdata (in=in2)
by TICKER;
if in1;
run;

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The SAS note indicates that you have duplicate ticker values in your second dataset. Is this what you expect? If so how do you want to handle the duplicates? If not how do you want to de-duplicate?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The SAS note indicates that you have duplicate ticker values in your second dataset. Is this what you expect? If so how do you want to handle the duplicates? If not how do you want to de-duplicate?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your code looks fine.  But the message is saying that there is more  than one observation in the lookup table (IDDATA) for at least one value of TICKER that also has multiple observations for that value of TICKER.   

If all of the repeating records in IDDATA have the same value of ID_NUMBER it will not matter.  If they don't then you need to decide how to pick just one.

lb16fa
Fluorite | Level 6

That makes sense! I'll take a look at the ID data set to find the repeating records.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation