BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Zeitgeist69
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am a new user and I need to specify my company's data base by listing all variables in each set in the library and provide a sample of the data existed in each variable (the best sample to provide is the most frequent one ) . 
Library A

Sets :

- X  has           1 , 2, 3

- Y  has           1 , 4 , 5

and Z has       2 , 9 , 8

I used this code so far , but I couldn't find out how to provide samples (using SQL) :

*List of variables in a library;

proc sql;
	create table columns as
		select libname ,
		       memname as table_name , 
		       name as variable

from dictionary.columns
			where libname = 'A'
	;
quit;

Could you please help me with that ?
Thanks and have a nice day. KR // Alaa

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It might be that doing it manually will be quicker than creating the code for it.

After finding all your variables, you have to:

• for each variable, concatenate the values from all datasets in which they appear. That requires identical attributes (type, length)
  • run a proc freq on that, and select the top result

How many variables have you found in your library?

Zeitgeist69
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for replay , The library i provided is just an example , I have actualy 10+ libraries each has 200+ data sets with 35+ variables each . 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As a new user, this is complicated programming, and as @Kurt_Bremser has said, probably simpler to do it by hand.  

From a purely programming aspect.

Break it into two steps:

1) Get list of all datasets/variables in the given libraries:

data list;
  set sashelp.vcolumn;
  where libname in ("ABC","DEF");
run;

In this example I have libnames of abc and def.

2) Use this list to generate code for frequencies if character, means if numeric:

proc sql;
create table freq_out (lib char(200),ds char(200),var char(200),value char(200),count num);
quit;

data _null_;
set list;
if type="char" then do;
call execute(cat('proc freq data=',catx('.',libname,memname),'; tables ',strip(name),' / out=tmp; run;'));
call execute(cats('data tmp (keep=lib ds var value count); set tmp (rename=(',name,'=value)); length lib ds name var $200; lib="',libname,'"; ds="',memname,'"; var="',name,'"; run;'));
call execute('proc append base=freq_out data=tmp force;run;');
end;
else do;
/* Add code for proc means here */
end;
run;

This programs uses the list dataset to generate a proc freq for each variable (so will take a while to run), and then appends the output to a main dataset, thus building up frequency counts for character variables.  I haven't added the code for means as this is only a guide.  If you don't understand this type of coding, then I would just do it manually.

Zeitgeist69
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks , I will test it and will come with replay soon . 
🙂

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

You can use SQL to print samples like this:

Put the code you want to execute into a macro variable, and execute that

proc sql noprint;
  select catx(' ','Title "Sample of',memname,'";select * from',cats(libname,'.', memname,'(obs=10)'))
  into :sample separated by ';'
  from dictionary.tables
  where libname='A';
  &sample;
quit;

Zeitgeist69
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks , but it displayed " No raws selected " note in the log.
Astounding
PROC Star

For your first question, this is easy.  Assuming you have defined a libname called FOLDER1:

proc contents data=folder1._all_;

run;

Getting sample values for variables is much more complex.  What do you want to do with character variables?  Would an average value for numerics be more appropriate?  I think you need to investigate this a bit before trying a complex solution.

ballardw
Super User

Another consideration in your "example values" display. Would you really want to display multiple values for a field that is basically open-ended text that runs 300+ characters long?

And what about variable labels?

Zeitgeist69
Calcite | Level 5

Hi , I need only one sample that presents the variable includings . and I thought the the most frequented one is the most efficient way.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation