BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ajulio4
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have problem with my proc import. I have this log if when importing an excel file with proc import :

WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé partic

Please can someone help me to ignore this warning. there is an option to use in proc import ?

Thks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Start SAS using "Unicode support" which just means using ENCODING='utf-8'.

How to do that depends on how you are running SAS.

If you are using SAS/Studio or Enterprise Guide as the front end tool for submitting SAS code then make sure you are connected to a SAS application server that is using unicode support.

If you are using SAS on Windows then there should be Start menu entry/icon for running SAS with Unicode support.

If you are using SAS from the command line you might be able to just add the -encoding option to the command line, but you might also have a different config file you point the -config option at instead.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ajulio4
Obsidian | Level 7

am importing an excel file with proc import an the log is : 

WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 31.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 33.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Transcoding errors often appear if the sas session uses an outdated encoding like latin1 instead of utf-8.

Btw. you still have not posted the complete log.

ajulio4
Obsidian | Level 7

for this, i use filename stament and set enoding="utf-8" but it doesn't work

ajulio4
Obsidian | Level 7

ohh it's all i have in the log :  WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 447985.

ballardw
Super User

COMPLETE LOG means copy the submitted code, which would start with Proc , to include all of the messages and the time the procedure took to execute.

ajulio4
Obsidian | Level 7

31 proc import out=tes
32 datafile =ext
33 dbms=xlsx
34 replace;
35 getnames=yes;
36 run;

NOTE: One or more variables were converted because the data type is not supported by the V9 engine. For more details, run with
options MSGLEVEL=I.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 31.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 33.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 34.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 35.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 36.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 37.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 38.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 39.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 40.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 41.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 42.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 43.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 44.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 45.
WARNING: Some character data was lost during transcoding in column: Libellé particularité émetteur at obs 48.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Start SAS using "Unicode support" which just means using ENCODING='utf-8'.

How to do that depends on how you are running SAS.

If you are using SAS/Studio or Enterprise Guide as the front end tool for submitting SAS code then make sure you are connected to a SAS application server that is using unicode support.

If you are using SAS on Windows then there should be Start menu entry/icon for running SAS with Unicode support.

If you are using SAS from the command line you might be able to just add the -encoding option to the command line, but you might also have a different config file you point the -config option at instead.

Ksharp
Super User
Two options: either use Unicode SAS (utf-8 encoding) to import this excel or Save this excel as CSV and import this csv again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation