BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lstockman
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have a list of counties that have spaces in their names. Rather than change all the spaces to underscores or remove them, is there a way I can format the list so the macro will run with the original value?

Here is the code I am trying to pass the macro 'list' through to create a file for each county in my list.

%macro loopit(lhjlist);
   %let n = %sysfunc(countw(&lhjlist));
   %do I=1 %to &n;
      %let val = %scan(&lhjlist,&I);

data want_&val;
         set have;
         where county= "&val";
      run;

%end;
%mend;

%let list= 
LOS ANGELES
CONTRA COSTA
SAN DIEGO
;

%loopit(&list);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First, sort by county.

Then do

data _null_;
set have;
by county;
length fname $200;
if first.county then fname = "&path./" !! strip(county) !! '.csv';
file dummy dlm=',' dsd filevar=fname;
put .....;
run;

For easier handling of the csv files, consider replacing the blanks in county with underlines, and convert everything to lowercase.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Put some character between the county names, such as

%let list=LOS ANGELES~CONTRA COSTA~SAN DIEGO;

and then

%let n = %sysfunc(countw(&lhjlist,~));
%do I=1 %to &n;
      %let val = %scan(&lhjlist,&I,~);

--
Paige Miller
lstockman
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, that works for some things and is very helpful to know. In my code below, the where statement is working but the output dataset is only the first word of the county i.e. work.want_los and work.want_san. Makes sense as I don't think an output dataset can have a space (?) Ultimately, I want to output a .csv or .xls file for each county in my list. Can I do that without first making individual datasets for each? 

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@lstockman wrote:

Thanks, that works for some things and is very helpful to know. In my code below, the where statement is working but the output dataset is only the first word of the county i.e. work.want_los and work.want_san. Makes sense as I don't think an output dataset can have a space (?) Ultimately, I want to output a .csv or .xls file for each county in my list. Can I do that without first making individual datasets for each? 

You don't have to split data to create file for each county.

Look at http://support.sas.com/kb/24/599.html for an example.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First, sort by county.

Then do

data _null_;
set have;
by county;
length fname $200;
if first.county then fname = "&path./" !! strip(county) !! '.csv';
file dummy dlm=',' dsd filevar=fname;
put .....;
run;

For easier handling of the csv files, consider replacing the blanks in county with underlines, and convert everything to lowercase.

lstockman
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you @Kurt_Bremser ! This works and is so much faster! Do you know if there is a statement I can add to retain the variable names as the first row in the resulting csv files?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Expand the

if first.county

with a do/end block, and have setting the fname and a put for the header line in it.

if first.county
then do;
  fname = .......;
  put "county,var1,var2,.....";
end;

The change of the value in fname will cause the current file to be closed and a new one to be opened.

lstockman
Fluorite | Level 6
That worked perfectly. Thank you!
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@lstockman wrote:

Yes, you can do this without creating a SAS data set, and your .csv or .xls files CAN have space(s) in the file name. I believe Kurt Bremser has provided a solution.

You could also replace the space with an underscore in the data set names. This is probably unnecessary extra work given Kurt Bremser's solution, but for completeness, this gives you legal SAS data set names. Naturally, it becomes a pain to have data set names with underscores and corresponding data values that have spaces.

data want_%sysfunc(translate(&val,_,%str( )));

--
Paige Miller
Toni2
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
i used this. very smart solution, thanks 🙂
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@PaigeMiller 's recommendation is neat. 

May I know your bigger objective or is it just splitting datasets as your code suggests?  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation