BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

I want to create a table that displays different examples of date formats.  

Data Date_formats;

var1 = 20165;

var2 = 20165;

var3 = 20165;

format var1 date7. var2 date9. var3 date11.;

run;

The output is a table that looks like this:

var1            var2               var3
18MAR15  18MAR2015 18-MAR-2015

I want to transpose this table to look like the following:
var1 18MAR15
var2 18MAR2015
var3 18-MAR-2015

But instead when I use Proc Transpose, it just turns all of the dates back to the SAS date format (20165).

I tried converting them all to characters using var1=put(20165,date7.), but then proc transpose wont't display them at all.

Thanks in advance!

-Barry

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

A single variable (column) can only have one format. If you want a data set to get something that looks like that you would have to create new character variables from  var1 - var3 using the PUT function with the desired format and then transpose the text variables .

We would have to see your data and complete code to determine why the character version you tried didn't produce desired results.

var1=put(20165,date7.), 

would not create a character variable because you have already defined var1 as numeric. You would need to do something like.

var1_c = put(var1,date7.) ;

How do you expect to use that transposed data set? Perhaps you are transposing when it is not needed.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
In your transposed data, var1, var2 and var3 will each have the value of 20165 (march 18, 2015). However, in a data set, you can only have 1 format associated with a single column so inside the data, the variable value. In a report, on the other hand, you could display each row's value with a different format. Other folks can answer the transpose question. If you have 2 variables in the transposed data called TYPE and VAL, then this would work in PROC REPORT. As shown here:

call_define_format_same_val.png
Cynthia

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I tried converting them all to characters using var1=put(20165,date7.), but then proc transpose wont't display them at all.

PROC TRANSPOSE can work with character variables, but you need list them in the VAR statement.   If you leave off the VAR statement then PROC TRANSPOSE will just transpose the numeric variables.

BarryP
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, Tom.  This was the step that I was misunderstanding the most.  One I convert to characters, this seems to solve my problem:

proc transpose data=Date_Formats;

var var1 var2 var3;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation