Shradha1
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a dataset with student names and their scores on different subject:

student a1 a2 a3 a4
jim 500 0 675 342
mary 345 45 876 510
mark 234 345 100 200
suzy 768 230 56 768

If the minimum score for any subject lies within 0-100(both values included) then I want to a flag for all those rows for that subject. If the minimum is higher than 100 then I want a flag only for the row with the minimum value. For example the resulting dataset will look like this:

student a1 a2 a3 a4 flag_a1 flag_a2 flag_a3 flag_a4
jim 500 0 675 342   1    
mary 345 45 876 510 1 1    
mark 234 345 100 200     1 1
suzy 768 230 56 768     1  

Lastly I want to filter out all the rows with flag =1:

student flag_a1 flag_a2 flag_a3 flag_a4
jim   1    
mary 1 1    
mark     1 1
suzy     1  

Any help would be great. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Shradha1
Obsidian | Level 7
Sorry that was a mistake on my part. Have rectified the error
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Ok. What about obs 3 and 4? Why only one flag? 

Please be very specific about your logic 🙂

ballardw
Super User

You need to explain this:

If the minimum is higher than 100 then I want a flag only for the row with the minimum value

or at least provide an example of which of these is getting flagged from this rule.

Do you have more than one row for a student in this this data? If so then you need to state so and provide an example of the data.

Some other things to consider:

Are any of the scores missing?

Do you want to consider missing as something to be flagged?

And it might not hurt to explain how those flags are to be used later. Sometimes it is a very good idea for "flags" to be coded 1/0. For example if you have the flags for Flag_a1 coded only as 1 if you want to determine something like "what percent of students had A1 flagged" you need to do a couple of steps because you don't have any easy to find "not flagged" information. But if the flag is 1/0 coded you can use any procedure, such as Means, Summary, Report or Tabulate that will calculate mean as the mean of 1/0 coded value is the percent of ones. Sum gives you the number of ones, or flags, if needed.

Shradha1
Obsidian | Level 7
No there is no missing value in the data and only one row for each student
ballardw
Super User

@Shradha1 wrote:
No there is no missing value in the data and only one row for each student

Then this statement is basically meaningless:
If the minimum is higher than 100 then I want a flag only for the row with the minimum value

if there is only one row per student as there is only one row and every row has "the minimum value"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation