BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have this line of code that is calculating the mean of a variable. For a couple variables, the mean is a very high negative number (-0.00001) and because I only want one decimal place, SAS ends up printing the mean as -0.0. Is there a way to get rid of this negative sign

This is the code that I am using:

data statall (keep=trt_dec row1 row2 row3 row4 vid);
merge sesstat(in=a) median;
by vid trt_dec;
if a;
row1=strip(put(n,8.0));
if mean ne . then row2=strip(put(mean, 8.1))||' ('||strip(put(std, 8.2))||')';
if mean =. then row2='-';
if median ne . then row3=strip(put(round(median, .1), 8.1))||' ('||strip(put(min, 8.0))||', '||strip(put(max, 8.0))||')';
if median =. then row3='-';
row4='('||strip(put(uclm, 8.1))||', '||strip(put(lclm, 8.1))||')';
run;

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anotherdream
Quartz | Level 8

Put converts your numeric data into character data.  your code SHOULD already be returning a result of 0.0, I am not sure why it isn't so I think something else is going on.

MY suggestion was to keep the data as numeric and simply use an actual FORMAT Answer 8.1;

What do you get when you run the following code?  The second observation should return 0.0, are you seeing only 0?

data ShoWUser;
infile datalines delimiter=',';
input Number
;
datalines;
;

data yay;
set ShoWUser;
answer=strip(put(round(number,.1),8.1));
run;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Just to be sure, you want the value -0.00001 to be displayed as 0.0, correct?

kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, exactly! Just 0.0

Thank you!

ruchitpatel
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a method to display -0.00001 as -0.0? Rounding method is removing the negative sign. Want to see a method which retains the negative sign. 

kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

I tried that, but it then gets rid of my decimal place and I am just left with '0'

Anotherdream
Quartz | Level 8

So do you just want a format to the number to be decimal X.1?

So like...

format answer 17.1;

(17 needs to be big enough to fit your largest integer obviously i just used it as an example)....

So as other users have noticed round your number using round(VAL,.1)  and then simply format the new number you came up with?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In addition to rounding, use a proper display format with one decimal.

@kmardinian wrote:

I tried that, but it then gets rid of my decimal place and I am just left with '0'

kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Can you give me an example of a proper display format?  Is that not the 8.1 format I used in my code above after the mean variable?

Anotherdream
Quartz | Level 8

Put converts your numeric data into character data.  your code SHOULD already be returning a result of 0.0, I am not sure why it isn't so I think something else is going on.

MY suggestion was to keep the data as numeric and simply use an actual FORMAT Answer 8.1;

What do you get when you run the following code?  The second observation should return 0.0, are you seeing only 0?

data ShoWUser;
infile datalines delimiter=',';
input Number
;
datalines;
;

data yay;
set ShoWUser;
answer=strip(put(round(number,.1),8.1));
run;

kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you so much, that worked so well!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation