BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ADoering
Fluorite | Level 6

In our work, we are using user defined formats extensively (short codes in the data, long labels in output). Drawback is that for programming/filtering, people still need to remember the raw value behind the formatted value shown otherwise. Of course they could filter for the formatted value by using the put function, only they would need to remember the format name, then, and always specify it.

Is there maybe a more efficient way I'm missing to apply the "standard format" according to the data set definition to the variable in programming without having to specify the format, or otherwise make the formatted value available?

Example:

/* some user defined format*/

proc format;

value companyfmt 1='Company A' 2='Company B' 3='Company C';

run;

/* a data set where one variable is formatted using that format */

data test;

input company variable $;

format company companyfmt.;

cards;

1 a

1 b

2 d

3 e

run;

/* to filter, this is what we currently do*/

proc print data=test(where=(company=1));

/* the alternative requires remembering the format name and a lot of typing */

proc print data=test(where=(put(company,companyfmt.)='Company A'));

/* ..and this does not work */

proc print data=test(where=(put(company)='Company A'));

Any ideas or best practice appreciated.

I'm on SAS 9.4M5.

Thanks and regards

Andy

13 REPLIES 13
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Your main issue is "people still need to remember".

Are people programmers or users? 

Do people write their code or import code to adapt to their needs?

In last case - importing code to adapt - just add format documentation as remarks.

In more sophisticated tools, like SAS AF, you can use GUI tools to choose from a table.

ADoering
Fluorite | Level 6
people are actuaries 🙂 which means they are both (end user programming), while obviously some are power users (frequent programming), others more occasionally programming (more using existing programs where I can use graphic prompts in SAS EG)
Ksharp
Super User

Ha. Kurt,

Create a view with vvalue() and proc print that view. Does it look good ?

proc format;
run;

data test;
cards;
1 a
1 b
2 d
3 e
;

data x/view=x;
set test;
id=vvalue(company);
run;

/* the alternative requires remembering the format name and a lot of typing */
proc print data=x(where=(id='Company A'));run;

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Sometimes it is wise to apply formats in the reporting procedures only and not on datasets, but this doesn't avoid that users have to remember - in this case - the names of the formats. Depending on the size of the datasets and the number of formatted variables, maybe creating a view having both the formatted and the unformatted version of the variable is an option. By using a view the space on disc should not increase to heavily.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If there are no more than, say, 200-300 pairs of variables and formats and they don't change frequently, the amount of typing and remembering could be reduced substantially by using keyboard macros (abbreviations) in the Enhanced Editor (or the equivalent SAS EG feature, if any). These could be distributed to the users in a .kmf file.

Example:

Menu Tools --> Add Abbreviation...

abbrfmt.png

So, after typing "put(c" the editor would suggest the insertion shown above (confirm with Return key), where "Company A" could be the most frequently used company name.

This could be made even more convenient by enhancing the keyboard macro (created by adding this abbreviation) with a few cursor navigation and selection commands so that "Company A" would be highlighted automatically and hence could be overwritten immediately with a different company name:

Menu Tools --> Keyboard Macros --> Macros... --> Edit...

kbdmacro.png

highlight.png

Finally, abbreviations for variable names starting with the same letter could be "grouped" together, e.g.:

put(c   --> put(company,companyfmt.)='Company A'

put(cc  --> put(country,countryfmt.)='United States'

put(ccc --> put(customer,customerfmt.)='Customer X'

Thus, the user can quickly step through the variable names (displayed in the yellow info text) in alphabetical, frequency or any other order just by repeating the first letter (and backwards with the Backspace key!).

showabbr.png

mkeintz
PROC Star

Make a macro that inserts a format according to the variable name.  Then your users will have little to remember or type:

proc format; 
run; 

%macro fmt(vname);
  %if &vname=company %then put(company,companyfmt.) ; %else
  %if &vname=variable %then put(variable,$1.) ;
%mend;

data test; 
put company=;
cards; 
1 a 
1 b 
2 d 
3 e 
run; 

proc print data=test(where=(%fmt(company)='Company A')); 
run; 

And this macro could be easily updated every time the dataset is revised (i.e. a new format is assigned).

Additional note:  You don't need to include every variable in the %fmt macro - just the ones where underlying value doesn't look like the formatted value.  Let's say you only have this problem with variable COMPANY.  All the other vars just use defaujlt formats, and therefore don't need a PUT function.  Then just set the %FMT macro to issue the var name, but no put function  (that's the "%ELSE &vname;" statement below:

proc format; 
run; 

%macro fmt(vname);
  %if &vname=company %then put(company,companyfmt.) ; %else
  &vname;
%mend;

data test; 
input company charvar $  numvar; 
put (_all_) (=);
cards; 
1 a 101
1 b 102
2 d 103
3 e 104
run; 
proc print data=test(where=(%fmt(numvar)=103 or %fmt(charvar)='b')); 
run; 
proc print data=test(where=(%fmt(company)='Company A')); 
run; 

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

unison
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can probably adjust this to be more robust (right now, there are issues if multiple datasets have the same name but different formats).. But here's an idea!

proc format;
run;

data test;
cards;
1 a
1 b
2 d
3 e
;
run;

*Stores result of var format into global macro var: _stdfmt;
%macro retreivefmt(var);

%global _stdfmt;
%local dsid;

%let dsid = %sysfunc(open(sashelp.vcolumn(where=(name="&var") obs=1)));
%if &dsid %then %do;
	%syscall set(dsid);
	%let rc=%sysfunc(fetchobs(&dsid,1));
	%let _stdfmt = &format;
 	%let dsid = %sysfunc(close(&dsid));
%end;

%put _stdfmt;
%mend;

%retreivefmt(company);
proc print data=test(where=(put(company,&_stdfmt.)='Company A'));

-unison

-unison
ADoering
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks everyone.

I take it there is no optimal solution (like vvalue() outside data step, or put() with a default), but I like the ideas of 

• having views with both formatted and raw values for our main tables
  • creating a fmt% macro as presented by mkeintz, but combining with unison's suggestion to derive it automatically - since formats are unique to the variable name in that environment accross tables, this shouldn't be an issue - I'll see if I can even combine it with use of vvalue where applicable if not a variable in one of our standard tables. I'd post it when I get to do it - or accept it as a solution, when someone else does 🙂

---------------------------

EDIT

---------------------------

This would currently be my solution:

%Macro fmt(var);

%local dsid rc;
%let dsid = %sysfunc(open(sashelp.vcolumn(where=(upcase(name)=upcase("&var")) obs=1)));
%put &dsid;
%if &dsid %then %do;
%syscall set(dsid);
%let rc=%sysfunc(fetchobs(&dsid,1));
%let dsid = %sysfunc(close(&dsid));
%end;
%if not %symexist(format) %then %do;
&var
%end; %else %do;
put(&var, &format)
%end;

%mend;

/*Test&Examples*/
proc format;
value yesno 0='No' .=' ' other='Yes';
run;

data test;
format ayesno yesno.;
input ayesno;
b=%fmt(ayesno);
datalines;
run;

proc print data=test(where=(%fmt(ayesno)='No'));
run;

Thanks to mkeintz and in particular to unison for the technique to get the &format via fetchobs (at least that's where I think &format comes from, even though I could not spot anything in respect of return of variables as macro variables in the fetchobs-documentation).

mkeintz
PROC Star

@ADoering wrote:

Thanks everyone.

I take it there is no optimal solution (like vvalue() outside data step, or put() with a default), but I like the ideas of 

• having views with both formatted and raw values for our main tables
  • creating a fmt% macro as presented by mkeintz, but combining with unison's suggestion to derive it automatically - since formats are unique to the variable name in that environment accross tables, this shouldn't be an issue - I'll see if I can even combine it with use of vvalue where applicable if not a variable in one of our standard tables. I'd post it when I get to do it - or accept it as a solution, when someone else does 🙂

I appreciate the idea of dynamically generating the format, using metadata in the data set header information (or maybe PROC SQL dictionary 

and I wonder whether a DOSUBL macro calling function would be the technique to use.  Unlike other uses of macros the it does not need to be resolved prior to execution of the call data step.  But I have never needed to find out more about DOSUBL.  If someone on this thread could prove or disprove my conjecture, I would be very interested.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So it looks like you are trying to solve the problem of how to filter the data when you know the formatted value but not the actual value.

One trick I have seen is to create a copy of your format library where all of your format labels (decoded values) have been converted to include the actual value also.  Then users know what value to use in the code.  When you are finished with coding/debugging just change the FMTSEARCH option to use the original format library and your reports will look nice again.

Something like this:

proc format cat=formats;
run;
proc format cat=cformats;
  value companyfmt 1='1 Company A' 2='2 Company B' 3='3 Company C';
run;
* Use the code including formats ;
options fmtsearch=(cformats formats);
proc freq data=test; tables company; run;
* Switch back to using the normal formats ;
options fmtsearch=(formats);
proc freq data=test ;
 tables company ;
run;

It is not that hard to convert an existing format catalog by using PROC FORMAT to convert it to a dataset and then manipulate the dataset to change the labels and use PROC FORMAT to make the new catalog;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 9 in conversation