BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@ballardw Thanks!

Your saying that "The OUT= option of the Tables data set only outputs the LAST result." is so much correct! Thanks for pointing it out. 

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Certified Base and Clinical SAS Programmer
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real
tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ

If you are using SAS Studio, there is a Describe Missing Data task - the great thing about the Task is will show you patterns of "missingness"  (example: VAR1 & VAR2 are missing on X number of observations).

DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@tom_grant That is interesting! Thanks for information.

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real
Mazi
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @DrAbhijeetSafai ,

I know you've already received good responses for this. However, I decided to share my approach anyway which uses the max function in proc SQL.

proc datasets lib=work kill nolist nowarn; quit;

data test;
	set sashelp.class;
	call missing(age);
	if _n_ = 1 then call missing(sex);
	sex2='';
run;

proc contents data=test out=contents;
run;

data _null_;
	set contents end=eof;
	length COLS $32767;
	retain COLS '';
	if _N_ = 1 then do;
		call execute ('PROC SQL;');
		call execute ('CREATE TABLE CHECK AS SELECT');	
	end;
	COLS = catx(", ", COLS, catx(" ", cats('max(',name,')'), "as", name));
	if EOF then do;
		call execute (COLS);
		call execute ('FROM TEST;');
		call execute ('QUIT;');
	end;
run;

/*Drop columns if they are missing on all rows*/
data _null_;
	set check end=eof;
	array n [*] _NUMERIC_;
	array c [*] _CHARACTER_;
	length COLS $200;
	call execute ('proc sql;');
	call execute ('ALTER TABLE TEST');
	call execute ('DROP COLUMN');
	do i=1 to dim(n);
		if missing(n[i]) then COLS = catx(", ", COLS, vname(n[i]));
	end;
	do i=1 to dim(c);
		if missing(c[i]) then COLS = catx(", ", COLS, vname(c[i]));
	end;
	call execute(COLS);
	call execute(';quit;');
run;

DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Many thanks to @ballardw , @Mazi , @data_null__ @yabwon @tom_grant , @PaigeMiller and all others for your response.

I was able to solve the issue but not easy way but by macro way. Somehow finally I found that the approach by macro will be better for me so I went ahead with that and the issue is solved. I would share the steps of what I did below.

1. First I used cmiss function (works for numeric too) to find out if particular value is missing in a variable.
  2. Then by creating another variable I found accumulating total of that variable (value of cmiss is 1 if the value is missing and 0 if it it not missing). In this way now I have count of number of values that are missing in a variable.
  3. I kept the last row of this dataset (by end= option) and kept only those variable which will have counts of missing values.
  4. By proc contents I found out how many rows are there in the given dataset. 
  5. I joined that dataset of proc contents with this dataset of one row.
  6. If the dataset contains say 168 observations and if there 168 missing values for a variable, that means all the values are missing for that variable. (And that is what I was searching for: variables having all missing values).
  7.  Once found, I created a flag for those variables for which number of missing values are number of records in the dataset. 
  8. All this I put in the macro which will do it for all the variables one by one by using do while loop.

And in this way the issue was solved. I would have liked to share the code for this but I will not be able to do it because I will need to type out the code again and that is very time consuming. 

Many thanks to all those who responded. It was a fun exercise for me. I thought I will be able to avoid macro but later I found that macro is a better way to solve it. As I found this answer working for me, I will mark this as accepted answer. 

Thank you.

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 20 likes
  • 8 in conversation