BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kayla_Tan222
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all, I wanted to extract some words from the data column so that I can classified them in the new column based on some words (but not all) from the old column.

For example,

in my old column,

ZMAJCLDSC

CGO - Marine Cargo                  (I want to extract CMC here)         

ENG - Engineering                      (I want to extract the word ENG here)

PAB                                              (I want to extract the first alphabet P here)

PMD                                               (I want to extract the first alphabet P here)

CBA                                               (I want to extract the first alphabet C here)

IAB                                                (I want to extract the word IAB here)

then I will classified it based on what I have extract.

ZMAJCLDSC  (OLD COLUMN)                                 lob  (NEW COLUMN)

CGO - Marine Cargo                                                   cargo

ENG - Engineering                                                       ENG

PAB                                                                               PA

PMD                                                                              PA

CBA                                                                               PA

IAB                                                                                  PA

I plan to use if statement based on what I extracted. here's my first two code below .But I dun know how to extract the words. What can I do with this?

if zmajcldsc='CGO - Marine Cargo' then

lob='cargo';

else if zmajcldsc='ENG - Engineering' then

lob='Engineering';

5 REPLIES 5
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

you could create a permit table that contained a column for ZMAJCLDSC valid values and a column that values translation to for the lob value.  

or maintain a format for ZMAJCLDSC

heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

At first I was thinking that a format would be the best option, but it all depends on what the logic would be. 

It is not clear if you want to have "ENG - <any random text>" to be converted to ENG or if it is only "ENG - Engineering". 

proc format;
	value $myConv 
	"CGO-MarineCargo" = "CMC"
	"ENG-Engineering" = "ENG" 
	"PAB", "PMD" = "P"
	"CBA" = "C"
	"IAB" = "IAB"
	other = "***** Unknown ****";
run;

data have;
	length ZMAJCLDSC $ 32;
	input ZMAJCLDSC ;
datalines;
CGO-MarineCargo
ENG-Engineering
PAB
PMD
CBA
IAB
;;;
run;

data want;
	set have;
	lob = put(ZMAJCLDSC,$myConv.);
run;
ballardw
Super User

@heffo 

I might consider a custom INFORMAT to read the data as needed with an error condition for unexpected values

proc format library=work;
	invalue $myConv (upcase)
	"CGO-MARINECARGO" = "CMC"
	"ENG-ENGINEERING" = "ENG" 
	"PAB", "PMD" = "P"
	"CBA" = "C"
	"IAB" = "IAB"
	other = _error_;
run;

data have;
	length ZMAJCLDSC $ 32;
   informat ZMAJCLDSC $myConv. ;
	input ZMAJCLDSC ;
datalines;
CGO-MarineCargo
ENG-Engineering
PAB
PMD
CBA
IAB
somethingunexpected
;;;
run;

The UPCASE option on an informat can help if data entry is somewhat inconsistent so you don't have to consider Pab PAB PaB as different values.

The _error_ for other will generate an invalid data message so you modify the INFORMAT code when an unexpected value is encountered.

If the field is sometimes expected to be blank you would add a " "= " " to the list of values.

heffo
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you, I didn't know about the _error_ nor the Upcase() inside of formats!
ballardw
Super User

@heffo wrote:
Thank you, I didn't know about the _error_ nor the Upcase() inside of formats!

The options UPCASE and _error_ only work on INVALUE , or when creating informats, not VALUE formats.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation