BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
marksanter
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have a dataset where I need to create minutes in separate levels by ID. The levels are 1-7 and time is structured in 30 second intervals. I essentially need new variables to capture the amount of time in mins spent in each level. I have attached example datasets of what I have and what I would like the data to look like. 

Can someone help me figure out a code to run this?

Thank you for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Many of us refuse to download Excel files because they are a security risk. The proper way to provide data is as SAS data step code (instructions).

Also:

I essentially need new variables to capture the amount of time in mins spent in each level.

Does this mean you want the SUM of minutes spent in each level?

--
Paige Miller
marksanter
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, that is correct. And I apologize, I will provide the SAS data step code.
Reeza
Super User

What are the rules to go from Have to Want? 
Can you take the first few rows and show the results?
For example for duration you need a start and end time but you only have one time so how is the duration calculated? 

I'm also assuming that all your times are for the same day, otherwise, if the date flips how do you know?

@marksanter wrote:

Hello,

I have a dataset where I need to create minutes in separate levels by ID. The levels are 1-7 and time is structured in 30 second intervals. I essentially need new variables to capture the amount of time in mins spent in each level. I have attached example datasets of what I have and what I would like the data to look like. 

Can someone help me figure out a code to run this?

Thank you for your help.

marksanter
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

The times are all for one continuous period. The date does not really have an important place here. Essentially, I would need a code that looks through the stage column, and for example, if there were 10 7s listed for an ID, MINS_in_7 would 5 since it is binned in 30 sec increments.

The time variable shows 30 second increments. 

Thank you for your help!

Reeza
Super User

proc freq data=have noprint;
table id*level/ out=durations sparse missing;
run;

data want;
set durations;
time_in_period = count/2;
run;

*transpose to desired structure;
  • Assume you mean by period instead of level (level has 8 categories 0-7, Period has 7, P1-P7). SInce you keep saying it has 7, I assume you're referring to Period not level. 
  • See if the above gives you the answers you want. If so let us know and we can show you how to transpose and remerge it back into the main data set if you really want the structure you've shown. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation