BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zakir
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone,

I have a trading data set which contains time, bidder, asker, price and volume  variable. The data set looks like this:

Data I HaveData I Have
I want to create dummy variables based on unique bidder. The idea is if a bidder appears in the bidder column, dummy variable should take 0 and if the same bidder appears anywhere in the asking column, dummy variable should take 1. If write the code, it looks: 

data want; set have;
if bidder="ByronHal" then dum1=0; if asker="ByronHal" then dum1=1;
if bidder="EdyssaPal" then dum2=0; if asker="EdyssaPal" then dum2=1;

if bidder="ZacharyBra" then dum9=0; if asker="ZacharyBra" then dum9=1;
run;

The problem for this code is manual. I need to look manually who are bidders and type their names. Is there any way to do this by the program!! I mean let the program decide how many unique bidders are there and generate dummies. Finally, can I get sub samples for each bidder from that file. The final sub samples for each bidder should look like this:

Sub Sample for bidder1

Sun Sample1Sun Sample1
sub sample for bidder2

Sub Sample2Sub Sample2
 Let me thank you in advance for helping!!

Zakir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

You can do it something like this:

data have;
  input bidder $ asker $;
cards;
a b
a c
b a
c d
;run;

proc sql;
  create table brokers as select monotonic() as id,broker
  from(select bidder as broker from have union select asker as broker from have);
  %let n=&sqlobs;
  create index broker on brokers(broker);
quit;

data dummy;
  set have;
  array dummies (*) dum1-dum&n;
  set brokers(rename=(broker=asker)) key=asker/unique;
  dummies(id)=1;
  set brokers(rename=(broker=bidder)) key=bidder/unique;
  dummies(id)=0;
  drop id;
run;

But what are you goint to use that for? It is very bad programming practice to put data (broker IDs) into variable names.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I'd create formats from the names, set one new variable using that format, and then transpose to the wide format with the multiple dummies.

Please supply example data in a readily usable format (data step with datalines).

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

You can do it something like this:

data have;
  input bidder $ asker $;
cards;
a b
a c
b a
c d
;run;

proc sql;
  create table brokers as select monotonic() as id,broker
  from(select bidder as broker from have union select asker as broker from have);
  %let n=&sqlobs;
  create index broker on brokers(broker);
quit;

data dummy;
  set have;
  array dummies (*) dum1-dum&n;
  set brokers(rename=(broker=asker)) key=asker/unique;
  dummies(id)=1;
  set brokers(rename=(broker=bidder)) key=bidder/unique;
  dummies(id)=0;
  drop id;
run;

But what are you goint to use that for? It is very bad programming practice to put data (broker IDs) into variable names.

Zakir
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi s_lassen,

Thank you for your kind help. The first part of the problem is solved. Would you please advise me how to do sub-sampling based on each bidder which will contain observations as shown below:

Sub-sample I wantSub-sample I want3.jpg

May I request to provide macro codes so that I can get each bidder's trading detail in one run.

ballardw
Super User

And the rule(s) for creating the subsample are what if any?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation