BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

I have a table like the first 3 columns of this and want to calculate for the 4th column which is a count of A appearing in each of the first 3 columns. how can I code that? Thanks in advance.

(I probably simplified the question. In reality, both the variable name and values are very long... I have around 30 variables and each value is like 40 letters long. Plus there are other variables in  the table. That probably gave the error message as I mentioned below.)

VarVar2Var3Var_A
ABC1
BAA2
cBC0
AAA3
BBC0
cAA2
ABC1
BAA2
cBC0
10 REPLIES 10
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Var_A = (Var='A')+(Var2='A')+(Var3='A');

Use an array and a DO loop if you have a bunch of variables.

Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

I got error message...ERROR: Numeric expression requires a numeric format.

singhsahab
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

data test;
length a b c $1.;
input a $ b  c ;
datalines;
a b c
a a c
a a a
c c c
a a a
;
run;

proc sql;
create table want as 
select a,b,c,sum(a1,a2,a3) as var_a from(
select a,b,c ,input(ifc(a eq 'a','1','0'),1.) as a1,
input(ifc(b eq 'a','1','0'),1.) as a2,
input(ifc(c eq 'a','1','0'),1.)as a3 from test);
quit;
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try this.

data test;
length a b c $1.;
input a $ b  c ;
datalines;
a b c
a a c
a a a
c c c
a a a
;
run;

data want;
   set test; 
   count = count(catt(a,b,c),'a');
run;
Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

thanks... got error message

ERROR: The decimal specification of 3 must be less than the width specification of 2.

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Can you post your input data set with some 10 observations. The best will be the observation you think that results in ERROR.

Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

hmm.. it is a super wide table with many variables...i will not be able to post the whole width.

what in the variables or their contents might have caused the problem?

What annoys me most is that in my syntax, I dealt with variables, not decimals... 😞

singhsahab
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
data want;
set test;
new_var=catx(',',a,b,c);
var_a = count(new_var,"a");
drop new_var;
run;
Yiting
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks. same as above i got error message

ERROR: The decimal specification of 3 must be less than the width specification of 2.

I guess its related to that in my real dataset, i have more variables than indicated here?

ballardw
Super User

@Yiting wrote:

Thanks. same as above i got error message

I guess its related to that in my real dataset, i have more variables than indicated here?

Show your data and the exact code you are running.

None of the example code suggested would generate that sort of error. Most likely you have a FORMAT statement with a bad format.

1    data dummy;
2       x=23;
3       format x 2.3;
                 ---
ERROR 156-185: The decimal specification of 3 must be less than the width specification of 2.

4    run;

If you want to display 3 decimals then the format actually needs to have a width of at least 4 to allow the decimal plus 3 characters.

If you want to display a value such as 12.345 the format would be 6.3. The first number is the TOTAL length and the part after the decimal is how many digits to display to the right of the decimal.

BTW, when posting any error message post the entire data step or procedure along with the error messages. Sometimes the error comes because of something incorrect before the actual displayed error. Best is to copy the text from the log and then paste into a code box opened with the forum's {I} or running man icon.

Note the example I post shows ___ under the 2.3. That indicates the specific location of the error. The main message windows on this forum will reformat the text so that is not quite a clear:

1 data dummy;

2 x=23;

3 format x 2.3;

---

ERROR 156-185: The decimal specification of 3 must be less than the width specification of 2.

4 run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation